1940's turquoise earrings opinions

My mom most definitely bought these in 1944/45 in Santa Fe while on a cross country train trip. I had them converted to pierced, then they fell apart. I think I will get them fixed. Years ago I almost got rid of them, but then kept them for sentimental reasons. Now I am thinking the turquoise is pretty nice. The picture is the best I can get. They are an even deeper beautiful blue green color and very glossy (except for the one with the most matrix -it’s a bit less so). I know I can never know for sure, but am curious as to what kind of turquoise they MIGHT be. They look like some pictures I’ve seen of Blue Gem. I’ve had them for several decades, and they have not changed color while I’ve owned them.

Would you turquoise people get them fixed? Would you try to keep them in the same style? That’s what I am leaning towards. One of the stones fell out, and me, being a dummy,

super glued it back in many years ago before I knew better.

I’m going to eventually send a cuff to Perry Null to get fixed, and can send these too; I’ve just been deciding what to do.

4 Likes

It is going to be difficult to determine, but Blue Gem or Fox are probably the best guess.

2 Likes

Thank you Jason. I know it’s just speculation, but I find it interesting. I just wish I had asked my mom more when she was alive about that trip. When I would ask, she’d say something like, that was a long time ago I can’t remember. But she was sure that she bought them in Santa Fe. I’m not even 100% sure they’re Native American, except when the stone fell out there was old crumbly sawdust underneath, and she thought they were. If any of you are blessed to have parents still alive, ask them everything you can now!

2 Likes

I’m getting a Fox vibe from these stones rather than Blue Gem. Fox has a unique teal that I see here. Blue Gem leads with the bluer range in its color and to me, the green usually seems to recede toward the background. Hard to describe, but Fox is a very unique look once you understand it. Lovely stones whatever the origin.

3 Likes

I dont know why I had completely forgotten about fox till you and Jason mentioned it. Prob cause I was trying to Google turquoise that was used in the 40’s, and saw Blue Gem and looked it up.

I hope they are fixable. If not I might still have the stones used in another setting.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about these earrings. I tried on the one that’s not broken, and it’s slightly heavy for my right earlobe which is a bit stretched out (I haven’t worn them in years). I am wondering if I could do something else with them. If just the top stones were the earrings they wouldn’t be too heavy. Then maybe the bottom bigger stones could be made into one ring? Does that sound crazy? Has anyone here ever had anything like that done? Being they were my mom’s and are such pretty stones, I hate to have them just sit unused.

1 Like

That would work, or a bracelet, or a necklace with some spacer beads

2 Likes

I like the idea of the necklace, thanks! I would prob wear a ring the most. I should call Perry Null and ask.

1 Like

Unless you take them to a jeweler with a laser, the turquoise will have to be removed to fix them and if they are too heavy for you to wear - draw up your design for the turquoise and get something you will wear. Doesn’t look like much silver there, but that can be credited as scrap (last I checked silver spot was $25+ an ounce). Maybe a necklace & a 3 stone statement ring…

2 Likes

Thanks! Good advice. I think I will want to try to keep the top stones as earrings if possible - in honor of my mom and their history. And you are correct, very little silver. I’m thinking the other 2 stones in line vertically.

But if the top stones won’t work, maybe then 3 stone statement!

1 Like

Just found your post. Your Mom’s earrings are lovely. If they were mind because they are heavy I’d consider putting clip backs on them in addition to the pierce post. Then it wouldn’t drag your ear lobe down to your shoulder and you’d get to enjoy them! Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s a good idea, but I’ve pretty much decided what to do. I created another post a few weeks ago about it. (more) thoughts on what to do with these stones

1 Like

Could it be Cerrillos Turquoise? That mine was near Santa Fe.

2 Likes

It’s possible, and that’s a good point, but I will never know for sure. @Jason and @chicfarmer lean towards Fox, so that’s my guess.

1 Like