A Most Unique Concho Belt

I’m mostly wondering how one could move around at all when wearing a belt like that. I’d be terrified!

3 Likes

I would rock it tough :muscle::joy:

2 Likes

@Ziacat
Tee hee! The Navajo samurai! Lest we forget!
You did buy him, didn’t you? He guards your fab turquoise collection!

3 Likes

I confess, I’m one of the watchers :laughing::laughing::laughing:

4 Likes

Haha me too or at least try to :rofl:

2 Likes

Hahahahahah, he was almost worth buying, just for the entertainment purpose! I think he went for a ridiculous amount of money considering what it is, if I remember right. You wouldn’t believe the laughs my family had over the pics of that thing. For those of you who missed it …
Never understood the need for 3 purple helicopters before

3 Likes

Holy Moly!!! Unique doesn’t quite cover it. @chicfarmer is right on, it does seem similar to a smaller version of those silver turquoise inlay kachinas. I saw one of these large silver guys in a jewelry shop years ago and thought ‘why would you buy that when there’s so much wonderful signed silver/turquoise work by authentic Native Americans?’ And, what makes anyone think they are Zuni? Just goes to show you that just what you think you’ve seen everything……

4 Likes

How about this terrific Lee Begay, Tufa Cast Silver Yei’ be’ Chei’ Concho Belt, courtesy of Perry Null Trading Company. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

See David Freeland, Philippines. If this wasn’t made in one of his workshops there, I’d be truly amazed.

His son, Dave Jr. resides in Tucson. https://www.davidfreelandopals.com/

ETA: Made by “DRF JR” (David R. Freeland Jr. ?).

3 Likes

I think I’ve posted about the Freelands before. First time I met them was in 1980 at the Denver gift show. Dave Jr. was selling magnificent “Zuni” style inlay and pettit point concha belts in the parking lot outside the show, out of the back of his pickup.

The next time I ran into Dave Jr. was at breakfast in the Hotel du Cygne in Paris in 1982. I was there with a case full of Zuni Jewelry to meet a client who had stores in the south of France, and David Jr. and his father Dave Sr. were there with cases of jewelry to meet with “Bruno” a Paris Jewlery company specializing in “Native American” jewelry. Dave and his son were literally at the next table with their cases for the hotel breakfast and we started chatting. I mentioned I was there with Zuni merchandise, and Dave Jr. opened up his case to show me what he had. It looked like Zuni jewelry, and I mean exactly like Zuni jewelry — all made in the Philippines, and he easily had three times the volume I had with me. I was floored, and thought to myself, how the hell do you compete with that?

8 Likes

@mmrogers What a great story! Walking around with a case full of jewelry is so intriguing… at least to this non-jeweler.

2 Likes

That was an interesting trip. One of my competitors (Bruno) jammed me up with French customs who pulled me off the train at the German border, detained and questioned us all night, and hung on to my inventory for two weeks while they “investigated”. I got my merchandise back, and continued my sales trip, but the experience was one I’ll never forget.

4 Likes

@mmrogers Oh, my! I can’t even imagine being caught up in anything like that. Sounds like you wisely made the best of a very unfair situation.

1 Like

At one point, I actually had to partially disrobe down to my socks and underwear for a search. I swear the customs guy looked just like Inspector Clouseau, down to the French police uniform. Anyway, I’ve got a money sock around my calf (same color as my dark socks) with ten grand US in French Francs, German Marks and checks. Was sure the customs inspector was going to spot it and take that too, but he must have been nearsighted because he never saw it, and instead was fiddling with the heel on my western boots to see if there was a secret compartment in it. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

Well, the buckle is pure Lee Begay (or his family) tufa cast, but I can’t see the figures well enough…I’m assuming they are also - what a lot of work!
A real work of art, but I guess I’m a traditionalist when it comes to concho belts, and looks to be a bit uncomfortable to wear :persevere:.

2 Likes

Oh, I agree. I posted it because of the similar idea to the first belt. Not my cup of tea, but reading the description of the work and talent to create it was impressive.

1 Like

What a miserable experience, but a great story! Had no idea the business was so cutthroat overseas! If it were not from you, I might question the story :smile:. The cash in your money sock story was great…guess one should always wear boots, or something else “suspicious” to grab attention.
I remember maybe 20+ years ago there was a display at the Zuni cultural center showing fake pieces…scary how “real” they appeared.
Quick question, we’re any of the Zuni pieces signed

1 Like

Oh I assure you, it happened just the way I described it, although I left out the part where one of the customs officials was going through my (then) wife’s wallet and found a huge CZ my friend Lional McKinney (Teme’) had given her. We told him what it was, and that it had no value, but he took it over to a sink, and acted like he was going to drop it down the drain if she didn’t “confess”. We just shrugged our shoulders, and said “go ahead”. The look on on his face was priceless!

I don’t recall any of the fake pieces I saw at the hotel restaurant being signed, but that encounter was pretty brief, and I was focused on the quality of the pieces he was showing me, which was really good. Have seen plenty of knockoffs which are signed though, and one producer in the Philippines was actually marking their counterfeits “Zuni” at one point.

3 Likes

My gosh @mmrogers , what an experience! Sounds like your competitor knew what he was doing to trip you up like that. Love the “I dare you” test the investigator tried to pull on you…joke was on him!

Those knockoffs from the Philippines are prevalent today, too. I’ve mentioned on another thread how a dealer that I work with at the beach had imported some of that jewelry and how closely it resembled Native American work. There must still be quite a market for knockoffs from there; is it a difference in the standard or cost of living there that allows them to produce things so cheaply? Access to more materials?

1 Like

Fortunately it was a temporary inconvenience. Had all the paperwork, had paid the duties in advance. There was a kerfuffle over the French requirements for quality marking, which was resolved by letting them apply marks, and paying a small administrative fine.

Have never been to the Philippines, but the difference in standard of living must be tremendous for them to be able to produce jewelry as cheaply as they do. Don’t know if it’s still the case, but at on time the counterfeiters were purchasing precious metals in bulk from US suppliers, and taking them over to Asia. Had a long conversation with Jim Guthrie, then manager of Indian Jewelers Supply in Albuquerque about that. We were discussing whether or not you could identify fakes by testing the metals to see if the alloys were slightly different, and Jim opined that it wouldn’t do any good because they were buying their metals from IJS, so at least at the time they were using exactly the same materials as US makers.

I don’t think there’s any question that counterfeiters are still at it in a big way. The market is well developed, sophisticated, generations old at this point, and international in nature. There are still plenty of stores all over the US, Europe, and probably Asia as well that sell counterfeits as the real thing.

4 Likes