Any thoughts on a great old bracelet?

@Ziacat, I think you’re confusing two pieces I’ve recently posted. I did mention that I recently obtained both and a few other pieces from a close friend and collector who recently passed away, so I can see the confusion. One was this 4-wire single stone cuff with leaves and silver dots by Sam Lovato, purchased from Cowan’s. The other piece was a heavy 9-stone cuff with the Pawn ticket from Tobe Turpen’s. It was not signed but attributed to Fred Thompson.
I’m wondering if different Pueblos and cultures refer to the development of certain jewelry motifs/styles confined to their specific culture. Thus, regarding silver leaf,Ramon Platero, Dine; Dan Simplicio, Zuni; and maybe Sam Lovato, Kewa? Just a thought…

1 Like

That’s right, duh (sound of palm slapping forehead)! I remember the other cuff now with the ticket. Love that one.

As far as the other, I have no idea. I have just read quite a bit about Dan Simplicio, but don’t know much at all about the other two artists.

@Ziacat sounds like you also are attracted to Dan Simplicio’s work. I collect him not to wear (only one piece fits me), but because of the unique style and pure beauty of the turquoise and coral he uses. There’s no one like him. So nice to talk with collectors on this forum who appreciate his work!

2 Likes

@chicfarmer @Ziacat Just FYI, I’m attaching the Cowans tag and my friend’s notes about
Sam Lovato. I remember we discussed Sam and the leaf design years ago when a friend bought a ring by Sam with the design. This whole situation is a good teaching moment about oral provenance. Not that it’s not important, but that it is only as good as individuals opinion or recollection.
As has been discussed, Sam was not the first to use of the leaf motif in Native American jewelry. I hope to get back to kewa before too long…hopefully I can get additional information about Sam

1 Like