Are these earrings by Fred Thompson

I recently bought a pair of earrings that have a hallmark like Fred Thompson’s and was wondering if they are his work. I know there is another unidentified mark that is similar. These don’t have the Toby Turpen mark so I’m not sure. Thanks for the help.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Yep! That’s what I was talking about. So what do you think?

My thought is no. The hallmark isn’t exact; it doesn’t end in a crisp point nor does it vary in width across the tilde, as in his known marks. Aside from that he was a smooth-bezel setter (I did find one wild giant thing online with serrated but it didn’t look like these). Then there’s the turquoise itself, a type I don’t know; ultra pale turquoise seems more recent. He worked only with gem-grade stones, and I can’t tell what these are (maybe you know?).

By the way, there’s plenty of Fred T without the Turpen mark.

2 Likes

not a good match with this example

and I find it interesting that this mark seems to have the power to reverse itself without photoshop

2 Likes

Wanted to add they’re really cool and pretty! I especially like the twisted wire detail at the top to create the loops.

3 Likes

Thank you. Your hallmark comparisons are great as usual. I have or have had another piece by this unknown maker in the past and asked the same question. I think my best bet would be to study up on Fred Thompson so I can tell the difference. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks you. The twisted wire detail is the reason that I bought them. My preference is French hooks so I don’t have to fiddle with the backs. Wore them to the grocery store for their debut and got a compliment as soon as I got in the store. I don’t have a lot of money invested and they look great on so I’m happy even if I didn’t find a FT treasure. :blush:

5 Likes