Bisbee, possibly?

While these were not guaranteed to be Bisbee, the seller believed they were and from my little bit of new knowledge I thought it was a possibility. I loved them anyway. Not so keen on heart shaped jewelry but I thought the slabs were magnificent. There is a bit of golden color within the chocolate matrix. If these are NOT Bisbee, what other type of turquoise could they be?

Wow, for sure not. I found the listing and the seller’s other offerings and, yikes, a pretty shocking level of disinformation on materials and origins.

I know you’re enamored, but it burns me when sellers don’t do right by their customers. By the way, I love heart-shaped authentic Navajo jewelry.

4 Likes

Any conjecture as to what it is?

Also curious as to how you found a closed listing? I need to know how to do that, I’ve had a situation or two where that would come in handy!

There’s stuff marketed as basalt turquoise that’s plentiful in inexpensive jewelry, and some other similar products that are composite rather than fully natural. I"m sure other folks will weigh in.

Easy to find Completed and Sold listings: figure out a good search term (“turquoise heart earrings,” for example) and check off in the left column of the page with listings:

Glad that you like them. The seller has been discussed on other forums and it has not been favorable.

1 Like

Thanks for that tip, it’ll come in handy!

That’s certainly not good, Fortunately, I paid a costume jewelry price for them, so I’ll enjoy them for the aesthetic value; the balance and combination of the coloring is very pleasing to me. And I’ve been needing some earrings to go with brown outfits! This is all part of the learning process for me and as long as I can learn cheaply I’m fine with it. @:wink: If I feel it’s critical - and if it’s NOT cheap - I’ll certainly research here BEFORE I buy!

2 Likes

Oh, and if it does shed any light about what these might be, here is what the backs of the stones look like. If y’all tell me this is plastic I’m contacting the seller - despite the fact they were inexpensive and non-returnable!! As long as they’re some sort of natural stone I’m ok, I’d easily pay as much for a pair of agate or jasper earrings.

Hi Edidfly, Here is a pic of “pressed block turquoise” See how the pieces of stone are “stacked up” and some copper or brass is mixed in for dramatic effect. this is a man-made stone using resin and turquoise.
I get the feeling that is what you have going on here.

Here is some good Bisbee. Notice the edges and fit of natural separations in the stone

1 Like

Thank you so much! Trying to decide if it’s worth it to contact the seller - I doubt it. They have great eBay reviews and no use quibbling over 20+ bucks, I guess. From looking at your pictures it makes sense that’s what they are - so not technically plastic . . . but not “real” turquoise, either. I guess I can still enjoy wearing them! I have an odd desire to have a piece of jewelry in every type of turquoise I can collect which is, I’m sure, totally not feasible. Maybe I should instead try for samples of stones . . . I love rocks, and friends actually now bring them to me for souvenirs, lol, so I can totally see buying a small sample of Bisbee, Number 8, etc. But even then, how would I know if the samples are legit?

1 Like

Couple of things…did you test these with a hot pin? That might reveal if they are actually turquoise or something else. I know that works with block turquoise but not sure if it does with composite turquoise. Secondly, did you pay with PayPal? If so, file a claim as “not as described.}”. PayPal will side with you whether the seller claims to take returns or not. I think many of us share the desire to have examples of each kind of turquoise.
It’s a learning curve for all of us. When possible, buy from artists and if not possible, buy from reputable vendors. Keep active in the various turquoise jewelry communities because there is a lot of good info out there. We have many knowledgeable people here.
Personally I would keep them if you like them.

1 Like

I’d also add that it’s rare for NA jewelry to be made with an open back like this, but I have seen it frequently on Asian-made pieces.

I think they’re pretty and if you didn’t pay much for them, just enjoy wearing them now that you have a better idea of what they are. However, if this seller’s listings are misleading or dishonest (even if unintentional–a lot of people misidentify turquoise and NA pieces), they should be told and subsequently reported if it continues.

3 Likes

I heated up and stuck a pin into the backs of both earrings several times - no marks, no give in the material, no smell.

1 Like