Can stone be restored?

Hi all! I appreciate all help and any opinions. Thank you in advance. I have a lot of questions :wink:
The previous owner of this ring applied clear nail polish (an old jeweler’s trick?) to the surface of the stone to prevent the crack / matrix (?) from becoming unstable. I do kinda like the shininess of it but am wondering if it will cause yellowing or deterioration of the stone eventually? (The seller thought the matrix was golden before the polish was added.)

Is it possible or wise to attempt to remove the nail polish and how should it be done? I paid very little ($25) for it knowing the history but would be willing to pay a professional to have it “fixed” if it the stone can be saved… ! Also curious how old it might be. And possible worth if restored vs leaving as is and how much to restore? Unsigned and no silver mark. It is very heavy. One of my favorites.

!

2 Likes

I think you should just leave it as is. Even if the stone does have a crack it is attached to the backing. You don’t really fix a crack, few tricks but the stone will still have a crack. If you want to remove the nail polish you can use finger nail polish remover. Depends on the quality of the stone but that might change the color more. The ring looks good.

2 Likes

Thank you, Jason :blush:. Good to know.

1 Like