Contemporary turquoise ring marked SC, any ideas

Don’t know if photo came through but trying to validate maker as well as turquoise if anyone has any insight to this one, thanks as always, new addition

3 Likes

Possible piece of Blue Diamond Turquoise, great looking stone. I have a SC in Hougart’s book Silver Cloud might do some research with that name.

1 Like

Thank you Jason for the information on your thoughts of the turquoise. Still a puzzlement with the SC stamp. I did look further into Silver Cloud, it appears they surround the hallmark with a cloud and copyright stamp. Any thoughts as to whether this is Native American made, stone is really very nice, great color, but even without searching the hallmark, I can not find anything similar to this stylized as Native American. Welcome any suggestions.

1 Like

Could be, they mention that it is Navajo in the description. Have you asked them why the attribute to Navajo artist?

2 Likes

The very first question that I asked - response was that it was typical of a Navajo stamp (S C). I don’t believe that they are well versed in Native American jewelry, but it is an attractive ring and really hoped I could identify its origins. I have exhausted trying to find anyone that does work that is at all similar in style, checked the more contemporary sellers, nothing like this. Again appreciate your research and input. Mysteries are good but far more satisfying when they can be solved.

1 Like

Some pieces by Sarah Curley look similar,

1 Like

It doesn’t strike me as NA, but that’s just my feeling, I have no good reason to back that up. Could be a NA artist that that’s working in a contemporary style. Random unattributed block initials are enough to attribute it as Navajo? Hmmm…

Regardless of who made it, it’s a beautiful stone.

3 Likes

Yes and something at the back of my brain has me thinking that SC was identified a long time ago as an import hallmark. It’s a killer ring but I’m not sure that it’s NA.

Thank you all for you thoughts on this piece. Love the stone and design, many years ago we purchased work at the Portal from a young Navajo college student who had some very abstract designed rings, so I thought it might be possible to be NA, and if it was, it would have been nice to know the artist, but appreciate the ring nonetheless. This forum has been a great learning experience, appreciate all the help

2 Likes

Why don’t you research Sarah Curley like Fernwood suggested. I believe she’s Navajo and the initials match up. :blush:

Also Leon Curley is on several Facebook sites regarding Native jewelry so I bet he could verify the hallmark as he recognizes other family members work.

2 Likes