Could this cuff be NA? Oriental?

I came across this cuff with interesting pictures on it, however I can’t for the life of me make any sense of it. It is sterling silver about 2" tall and quite heavy. There are no hallmarks on the back. I’m curious to know what you guys might see in the imagery. Thanks so much!

7 Likes

Beautiful Hopi cuff! I think it’s an eagle dancer.

3 Likes

Island momma is correct on both. Very nice cuff! Are there any hallmarks?

1 Like

I don’t recall seeing any, but I’ll take another look when I go back next weekend to make a payment on another piece I put on hold. Stay tuned! Thank you all for your input!!!

1 Like

I have a feeling you might just end up with the both of them?

@Islandmomma I’d love to acquire a Hopi piece (I don’t currently have any), but first I have to pay off this A. Vanderver belt I stumbled across! :money_mouth_face:

6 Likes

Wow! That’s sweet. Those choices would have made deciding hard. Great belt and I hope you enjoy it!

@Christibo I took a closer look at this cuff and did find a stamp on the back. It says Mexico, so I’m guessing that rules out it being Hopi? I had them weigh it and it’s 75 grams.

2 Likes

Yes, it rules out Hopi and it also makes sense. Good thing you spotted it (and the 925 as well). The type of incising on the underlying layer (background) is just not the sort you see in good Hopi pieces, which made that attribution sort of suspect to me.

2 Likes

Wiley Mexican Silversmiths! This is an excellent example of our Southern neighbor’s attempts at creating NA work. I have found several in the past that I have posted here. This one tops the cake! The photos fooled me!

2 Likes

Thank you all for your responses! I learn so much on this forum. And it reinforces the notion to be patient and do your research on pieces when the price tag is a little higher. Onward to the next great American treasure…

2 Likes