Curious as to marking

Bought this at a jewelry shop in Santa Fe about 7 years ago. Cannot make out the markings, took pics both ways. Stones are suppose to be Bisbee and bracelet is VERY heavy.

5 Likes

To me it looks like the first name is Leon. Wondering if it is Leon Martinez who signs as Leon M.T.Z. per Indian Native American hallmarks L Several of his pieces (cuffs with large turquoise and deep stampwork) have hallmarks with the Leon MTZ rather difficult to read.

2 Likes

Beautiful bracelet. I cropped and adjusted your photo in hopes it would help someone ID.

2 Likes

Thank you, hope so too!

1 Like

Agree, I have a few books but I can find nothing to match.

1 Like

I was unable to sleep and did some searching.
Found some items for sale attributed to Leon Martinez, with the same mark as yours.

It appears his jewelry may have 3 different marks. One is a L M in simple, block style. One is L M Z in simple block style. One is LEON MTZ in cursive, like yours.

When an artist has 3 different marks, it makes things difficult.

I saw some similar cuffs that are similar to yours. The design on the ends of your cuff are present in other cuffs attributed to him.

2 Likes

It does look like Martinez work. And the weight is because they tend to work with ingot rather than sheet silver. The stones may be Bisbee but with the pyrite I would also consider Morenci. Beautiful cuff!

1 Like

Thank you both! Love the bracelet and nice to know the artist, appreciate your research!

1 Like

I really appreciate your tracking it down! Now darn it, get some sleep!

1 Like