Curious to hear your thoughts about 3 possibly Native American items

Great job! It almost makes me want to try one.

2 Likes

Thanks again @StevesTrail ! Your tips, especially about the knot, made me decide to actually go for it.

1 Like

Thank you @Stracci ! That is really great to hear, i’m a big fan of your creations.

2 Likes

Thanks so much @Ziacat !

2 Likes

Thanks @Islandmomma . Perhaps you should give it a try. I did encounter a few cliffhangers though, mainly because i used fabric wire. With metal it’s easier i think. For me the hardest bit was the knot at the end, and the overall tightness of the necklace that that creates.

1 Like

Thanks @Bluegreen ! Glad I could help out.

2 Likes

So about a week ago i had a minor (rather big) disaster happen. As i took the necklace off, over my head, it started to rain turquoise all over the floor. A thing that i dreaded for some time had happened; the cord had snapped. So much for going all natural with silk cord, it lasted only about 6 months before breaking.
I was happy though that it happened at home, and not on some busy train station or something. Plus i was grateful that a large chunk of the original assemblage of the stones was still intact, so i could use that as a starting point to restring the rest.

This time i made sure to use iron wire, and although i find it just a tad less comfortable to wear it is 100% worth it because i’m quite confident that this stuff will not break any time soon.

Thought i’d share in case others are contemplating to use silk string for their precious turquoise items.

5 Likes

@Bluegreen Your restrung turquoise necklace is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your experience about that silk thread breakage. Don’t think I have any necklaces that use thread, but I’m going to check on that.

2 Likes

Thank you @Patina , i appreciate it

2 Likes

Great job! You might have to go into to the necklace restringing business :laughing:

I totally understand the fear of something breaking when you are out and about. I also worry about that with loose stones.

3 Likes

I’ve used silk…but silk suture thread. don’t recall if it from dr.office or vet…probably the vet as they don’t freak as much over civilians use
anyway,the string has recently started to fray where it’s been rubbing against the horn=tied the cedar wood cap to the cow horn tip I use as an aspirin bottle. gotta say decades,not years,of daily use

4 Likes

Thanks! Now there’s an idea (;
Once started, i do find it relaxing and very rewarding to do

3 Likes

p.s. i’m still wondering what kind of turquoise this might be. For now i’m guessing Kingman maybe. Sometimes i also find that it resembles Sleeping Beauty, although the darker host rock keeps me in doubt about that. I’d love to hear suggestions, even wild ones, so that i’d have a lead that i can study more indepth.

I know that a precise determination is virtually impossible, but i still like to play mix & match with various types of turquoise.

3 Likes

I would guess Kingman, but I often do!

3 Likes