Does anyone recognize this bolo?

I am not really sure what this is. The bull and pieces wrapped around the leather are sterling, but the arrow heads at the bottom are not. It came with a couple of inlay bolos but this one does not look completely Native American to me. I would appreciate any input. I am also having a hard time figuring out what the initials are on the back. LGL, LGS?Thanks!

2 Likes

you might have better luck identifying what looks to be a Bar-S cattle brand on the arrowheads and calf overlay.

Bar S, ohhh like a ranch. Of course, thanks!

Maybe this is the right ranch!

1 Like

that gives new meaning to “fresh meat”…

5 Likes

Nope. Nope.:laughing::laughing:

But the bolo is cool!

1 Like

Kinda looks like a P backward S with a bar over both.

I read that any letter backward in a brand is read as a reverse or back, ie Bar reverse S (but still looks there is a P before it, on the bolo part anyway). Maybe it’s just the way the artist decided to make his Hallmark?

The weird thing to me is they are all different. On the bolo there is a P with a bar over the letters, on the arrowhead it’s a / back S, and on the silver piece above the arrowhead it’s a /regular S. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I know it’s not, but I’m picking up Arnold Goldstein vibes.

2 Likes

And then look at the piece in the middle of the leather. That is clearly is PS with a bar over it, and one of the stamps has the S backward and the other one doesn’t. Bizarre.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. Is a a bar over PS, bar over S, slanted bar next to S? It’s all very confusing!

1 Like

Philmont Scout Ranch…

7 Likes

Omg! You are amazing! That’s it! There was tons of Boy Scout stuff at the sale where I purchased this! Thank you!

4 Likes

That’s gotta be it! My husband is named after his uncle who was a Catholic priest, and he worked there many years ago. If he was still alive he would have loved your bolo! Great job Tah!!

3 Likes

I highly doubt your bolo was mass produced. It looks handmade. I found nothing like it on eBay. The only other sterling silver Philmont items I found were two rings with the Bar S brand. Here they are for your enjoyment. I’ve included the sellers’ descriptions. Your bolo is really cool. :+1:

This listing is for A STUNNING NAVAJO “OLD PAWN” STERLING PHILMONT BOY SCOUT RANCH RING. THIS UBER RARE FRED HARVEY ERA PIECE FEATURES A BEAUTIFUL “BAR S” BOY SCOUT RING WITH THE CLASSIC BRAND RIGHT IN THE CENTER. IT IS SURROUNDED WITH EARLY NAVAJO HAND STAMPED DETAILS WITH THE OLD HAND MADE STAMPS ON A CLASSIC CIGAR STYLE BAND GIVING IT SUCH A GREAT NATIVE FLAIR. COULD YOU IMAGINE BEING A BOY SCOUT IN THE 1940’S AND GOING HOME WITH THIS RING AFTER SUCH AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE? HE WOULD HAVE BEEN THE COOLEST KID ON THE BLOCK WITH THIS OLD TRADING POST BOY SCOUT RING. IT IS COVERED IN A OLD DEEP WARM PATINA THAT WE ALL LOVE. THIS IS A BEAUTY WITH A VERY TRADITIONAL NAVAJO FORM AND THE RARE “BAR S” BRAND! $395

Philmont Scout Ring
Legendary adventure ranch
1940’s
size 10.25
fantastic aged patina
sterling silver
rare find
$475

5 Likes

Thanks! Love those rings! I haven’t found anything like it online either. I too believe it is probably handmade. I saw a listing on eBay for this one, but the symbol or brand (or whatever you call it) is not the same. Still it’s pretty cool.

3 Likes

This is so cool! Hubby just reminded me his uncle was a chaplain at Philmont, prob sometime in the 50,'s or 60’s; can’t remember exactly when. I remember his uncle talking about being there and showing us some pics. I don’t think he had any jewelry, but he passed away quite awhile ago.

The rings are nice, but your bolo is cooler!

3 Likes

Very cool! Two of the other bolo’s I purchased in this group were from the 50’s and 60’s. I assume this because they had the Bennett c-31 clasp on them. (I am not sure if clasp is the right term) But I was thinking this bolo is newer because it is marked 85 next to the initials. That would be the artist initials and date it was made right?

3 Likes

Bola is definitely handmade. Work is Navajo style, with Hopi type elements, with the exception of the arrow heads which may have been lost wax, or sand cast (if the latter, the distressed work would have been done after casting). The silversmith signed it with a vibratory engraver, so time frame is likely late 70’s - sometime in the 90’s. Best guess is this was a piece custom made for a Scoutmaster or Boy Scout official at considerable expense.

4 Likes

Hard to say if those are artist initials and date of creation. Could be the owner’s initials and troop number. Here is more on Bolo Tie History.

3 Likes