Esther Wood Kachina Necklace

I’m interested to see what you folks think this might be worth currently because I sold my car and my house and my firstborn child and bought this necklace. I’m going to miss them. :cry: Just kidding, lol. I bought it the third time I drove back to see it. I believe it’s a museum quality piece. It was purchased in Albuquerque at a place called “Utility Shack” from 2 ladies there named Valerie and Laurinda. I have the receipt, A lady named Karen H. bought it for $5828.00. I understand it’s only worth a fraction of that now. So, with out further ado. Tell me what you think.

Edit: Above purchase dated February 27, 1999

P.S.
Better pics tomorrow in the sun. Also there is a certificate of authenticity that says the turquoise is sleeping beauty but doesn’t mention the coral hands or the green triangle stones.

Edit OMG, It will be great in the Sun. I thought the face was jet or Onyx but it is something very dark purple.

4 Likes

I love it! What are you saying it’s only worth a small fraction of its original selling price? Glad you showed that last picture. I thought the face was onyx also. Looks like sugulite, coral hands, think the top turquoise might be Cerillos and the other two remind me of the turquoise pendant by Ann Yellowhorse that I own that was never identified.
It’s awesome and I hope someone will give you a professional evaluation. I’m curious about the value.

I believe the 2 large light green and brown triangle shaped stones are gaspeite.

2 Likes

I’m just learning but gaspeite was the first thing that popped into my mind also.
As far as why I think it’s only worth a fraction of the original cost, it’s because I only paid a fraction of that cost, hopefully I did ok.

1 Like

I’m liking the sugilite.

Sugilite Uses and Purposes

Sugilite is one of the very best crystals for those who are highly sensitive and take on whatever energies are around them. Wear or carry Sugilite to create a warm, protective “shield of Light,” keeping the wearer impervious to negativity and the disharmony of others. In times of discouragement or despair, place Sugilite on the Third Eye to draw in comforting energy and a flow of gentle, loving information from the spiritual world to bring peace and relaxation to the emotional body. (filched text from here)

1 Like

Love the detail. This piece part of the Smithsonian American Art Museum collection- Gift of Karl and Patricia Stoermer in honor of Esther Wood, Navajo Silversmith should add to the value.

2 Likes

I found that! it’s one of the reasons I went back for it.

2 Likes

And this with gaspeite

1 Like

Interesting that she used actual hinges to provide the articulation on the Smithsonian one, mine uses eyelets so it can twist slightly also, it makes the movement looks pretty darn natural.

2 Likes

It’s amazing. Love all the detailed figures. I’m curious on the weight of this piece? It looks substantial.

2 Likes

I thought I had written that in there somewhere. The invoice says 186.9 g

1 Like

Impressive! Think you have done well.

2 Likes

Is Esther Wood a male? I found an artist Bio. for a Herman Vandever that says he was taught by his older brother Esther Wood.

1 Like

SAAM - “Esther Wood is a Navajo silversmith and jeweler who learned her craft from her aunt, Elsie Platero. She currently lives in New Mexico and works primarily with silver and turquoise.” Esther Wood | Smithsonian American Art Museum

also read She was sister to Herman Vandever?

1 Like

A typo then. Thanks. I thought I had read an article where a lady said she bought a piece of her jewelry and then later met her and was able to ask about her particular piece

It’s cloudy, this is the best I’ve gotten so far.

5 Likes

Wow, this is amazing! You guys find the neatest stuff!

2 Likes

I found this about the place it was purchased from originally. It has a picture of a very lovely Laurinda who sold it to who ever bought it originally.

http://people.virginia.edu/~jnd/Southwest/UtilityShack/utilitys.htm

OK then. Something very similar in 14K

http://marthastruever.com/14kt-gold-kachina-necklace-by-esther-wood.html

2 Likes

How is Laurinda related to the subject?