Expert thoughts on what type of turquoise in my cuff?

I get asked quite often what the main stone is in my cuff (Randall Tom), I’ve hazarded a guess at possibly Pilot Mountain, but honestly I have no clue, what do the experts think?

This is my favorite bracelet, although I like my others equally, I just wear this one the most.

Thanks for weighing in :grinning:

4 Likes

Very Nice!!! Have you tried to look up any of his other jewelry and see if its been identified on those pieces to see if he tended to work with a certain group of favorite types of turquoise? That may help…Im not the best mine identifier…but Ill hazard a guess of fox or pilot mntn maybe…thanks for sharing
~Koliopee

Or Royston? Those are some that come to mind when i see that kind of matrix material…
Cant wait to see what others think.

I’ve looked at a few pieces, nothing really leapt out as obviously the same, although I haven’t looked in a while. I could even try direct contact if I can scare up an address :grinning:

1 Like

I think you’ve got it - I found a ring of his that has a similar stone, and it’s identified as Royston:

And this piece by Peterson Johnson has Royston also:

Thanks koliopee!

2 Likes

Hi all! … Can anyone offer their guess on type of turquoise in my piece? Trying to match a ring and having trouble. *top pic is outside.

2 Likes

You need to mail this to me because I have matching earrings (just kidding)

3 Likes

Hi RedlandMaggie, That’s very nice. I put two pics on here as examples. The blue is Royston some different shades but all with the characteristic brown matrix. The green is Carico Lake an extreme example of how green that can be. Both my father and uncle worked turquoise since the 60s. I have found that most any mine will produce a variety of colors but the matrix is usually the signature. My guess is your peace is Royston but may have “greened” a little with the addition of skin oils and age. Again nice piece. Hope that helps, Kyle

Gemstone-Carico-web-1024x768

4 Likes

Thanks Kyle, those are lovely!

1 Like