Fetish necklace - help identifying?

My grandmother gave me this beautiful necklace many years ago. I have spent many hours admiring the fine craftsmanship. I know every single animal by heart!

I would love to know where it came from. My grandmother could have bought it in the 50’s or 60’s. She lived in Southern California, but traveled all over. She loved to “drape herself in silver and turquoise”.

About this necklace, which she prized, she would say “I would have liked to have a 7-strand, but I just don’t have the bosom for it”. She was a hoot.

Foxes, frogs, bear, fish, birds and some little black (onyx?) rails or ducks. Every single one has a personality of its’ own. Do the animals give a clue as to the necklace’s origin?

It weighs 3.65 oz. The heishi feels smooth. I polished the silver only a little with a soft cloth, to show the marking.

Thank you in advance for your help. This is a beautiful website; I’ve spent a few hours checking it out. It made for a very enjoyable day!

3 Likes

These are called Zuni fetish necklaces https://www.google.com/search?q=zuni+7+strand+fetish+necklace&client=safari&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiRlrHt3a3iAhVJsp4KHacRBVgQ_AUIDygC&biw=1680&bih=891. Beautiful piece you have.

1 Like