Finds from the Autry Museum 2019 Indian Arts Market

This is amazing! I’m happy for you, but a little jealous, I must admit.

3 Likes

These are some outstanding pieces, I would be overwhelmed at this show…to meet the artists would be an honor!

3 Likes

@Islandmomma it was such a different experience for me!! And everyone was so kind, and I feel like I learned so much!!

3 Likes

@harmonart :joy: the bad news is I’m broke for the next few months now

2 Likes

@Dana I have to admit, I was a little embarrassed that my mom kept taking pictures of the artists with the jewelry, but I’m so glad she did! I think my parents really enjoyed getting to chat with Lyndon Tsosie. He has some great jewelry and great stories to tell

4 Likes

I just bought a giant Erecka Lee cluster ring.

6 Likes

@AC looks like we’re twins! I had never heard of Erecka before buying my hair or ornament, what about you?

1 Like

@Bigbree43 Does yours have the same hallmark?

2 Likes

They’re very similar Jeff!

1 Like

Yes, That’s her!! Her Name is misspelled in the Barton Wright book. I have to change that on my post.

2 Likes

You should send them an email! I even took her business card- she was insistent that we contact her if anything ever broke or became damaged on my hairpiece

5 Likes

This was such a great post! Thank you for sharing. Is this an annual event? I’d love to go to something like this and meet and directly support the artists. You got some great pieces, would love to see you wearing the hairpiece!

2 Likes

This event brought back fond memories for me.
In the mid 1980’s we made a monthly trip to Gallup NM. Always stopped at the flea market there.
There were many tables of new and vintage jewelry. The artists would often be working on more pieces at their tables.

At the time, we did not have much money, so purchases were limited.
I was often in awe at the beautiful jewelry, as I had always loved Turquoise. We were able to spend time talking with the artists and dealers. Most usually had an interpreter with them, if they did not speak Anglo.

I often wonder who we spoke with, as I do not remember any of the names.

Thank you for posting this.

3 Likes

oh heavens @Bigbree43 … Thank you for posting such wonderful finds! To actually see the artists and their work is such a special treat! The sweet tiny frogs made my day! :wink: and that Naja by Ronnie Henry, Mom has great taste…

2 Likes

@Scdub I do believe it is an annual event, held at the Gene Autry Museum of the American West! Here’s a link from the Autry’s website

And my mom promised Erecka Lee that I would email her a photo with me wearing the hairpiece!!

3 Likes

@fernwood thanks for taking the time to read my post! Only a few artists were making jewelry at their tables, probably because they were too busy selling though!

3 Likes

@Q-tea my mom does have good taste, but it was difficult because when I was on FaceTime, the event was really loud, but I was trying to discreetly yell at my mom “MOM NOOO THATS TOO EXPENSIVE!” :joy:

6 Likes

Once again, I am late to this post, but it got me excited for this summer. At this point the Eiteljorg appears to be planning to hold their Indian Market in late June. I can’t wait!! Unless that darn covid intervenes again…

If any of you on here in the Midwest happen to go we should meet up there!

3 Likes

Wow! You’re my kind of shopper. What an amazing haul, I hope you enjoy every peace in good health.

@Bigbree43 wow…looks like you and your mom had a great time! I especially love your frog fetishes. My very first fetish was one of Georgette’s frogs purchased in the early 1990s. Same exact form but it was much more expensive than yours! It’s still e of my favorites!
Your Mary Calabaza earrings are wonderful; I know the Ray Lovato family and Piki Wadsworth hand roll their heshi, and also use only natural turquoise - That’s why their pieces are so pricey.
I’d love to go to the Autry Indian Market, although hate driving in S. California🥴. Planning to go to the Heard show. I don’t have a piece by Mary, but will definitely look for her!