Got very lucky with metal detecting

Ha, yes, have been binge-watching these at times

2 Likes

won’t find any roman stuff around here :wink: but it’s interesting to see how to hunt correctly

1 Like

Your shoe buckles and shards are cool. I’m in coastal SC and they are making jewelry from old shards as well as sea glass. Pottery shards even show up on our beaches. I think you might enjoy that.

4 Likes

Good finds! Those old military sites are great. My Dad metal detected for many years and still has a Whites which he breaks out occasionally. He will be 92 next week. There were a group of friends (about 6-7) and they went together and/or separately and had some tremendous fun and finds. Dad’s best friend since grammar school was an avid history buff and there was even a Civil War Hospital in his mother’s house. They had maps of lots of old encampments and searched them and other places. The two biggest that stick in my brain are the day he and his friend went out and Daddy found a silver tablespoon that dated between 1684-1685 and belonged to the former Governor Moulton of SC. The other was the day he and another friend found two 24lb Civil War shells still sealed in the boxes with the writing intact. I came home from college and found a plastic 55 gal trash can with electrolysis hooked up in their dining room. It took a year or two but he got it preserved (they had been in a creek) and it sat by the fireplace for many years. When he sold it (90’s ?) it brought enough to fund their 4 month motor home trip out west. He did a lot of rock hunting out there and came home with some nice stuff including Dinosaur bone. He cabbed and used a lot of that.
Keep hunting guys and may you enjoy many great finds!

6 Likes

That’s so interesting @Islandmomma! Your dad is very determined, and it paid off, but I bet it was a rush finding stuff like that. Your dad is amazing. I wish I had asked my dad so much more, but when you’re a teen you don’t think as much about history, and you think they will be here a long time (he passed when I was a teen).

Thinking of your dad finding a dinosaur bone made me remember my nephew’s latest discovery. He is the park superintendent at Colorado National Monument. He was home a couple weeks ago, and told us about all the new finds at their park (they just hired a archeologist). A big chunk of sandstone had fallen on the road, and they were going to break it up to move it, but turned it over and found this…

It’s a theropod track! He said they had previously found a lot of tiny dinosaur tracks, but nothing like this. Since they hired the archeologist they have been finding all kinds of stuff. His park is not too far from Dinosaur National Monument.

7 Likes

I’ve heard and seen about the best days of metal detecting. It started in the 60s before aluminum pull tabs. My dad took me to a guys house in the 70s. He literally had a small treasure chest of gold he had found. We got into it in the late 70s. Still some good finds out there. Took 25 years off and all has changed. No more hunting allowed on state or federal land. And homeowners have gotten nuts too. So it’s rare to find a good spot anymore where you can work it out with a property owner. Five of us from around the country still stay in touch to tell of what we find.

4 Likes

We have a couple of metal detector hobbyists who come out and have had wonderful finds. One that sticks in my mind was the dog tags from the 1920s of the pooch who lived here then…it gives such a sense of how life goes on in pretty similar ways.

4 Likes

it didn’t sink in til yesterday…yeah,I CAN find roman coins around here.
the same shop where I located a heavy saxon silver coin in very nice condition(saxon,not anglo saxon).
asked sam to keep an eye open.
duh

4 Likes

I have a question for you, Bluegreen. When I originally saw you were from the Netherlands, I mentioned that my mom had a big vase from there. She had no knowledge of it at all except that my uncle, her brother, bought it in Holland while he was in the service overseas. If I had to guess, that would have been the late 50s or very early 60s. I was born in 64, and I always remember it being around the house. Does the inscription on the bottom mean anything to you?

2 Likes

it took 4 videos to document this massive collection of finds made by one person.

3 Likes

@Ziacat I’m sure that’s a fine example of Gouda Pottery, a famed art pottery company known for its stunning Art Nouveau and Art Deco designs and shapes. It would have been handpainted. You can read “Gouda” in the third line of applied writing from bottom. You’ll have fun reading about it, there’s a lot of literature on websites including at least one book on the company. In a quick browse I found this very urn shape, painted differently. Lovely!

5 Likes

Thank you Chicfarmer! I thought that’s what it said, but I wasn’t sure. I know nothing about that kind of pottery, so I am going to look it up. I remember loving the vase/urn my whole life, and after mom passed it came to my house, were it sits happily on my dining room table.

And I always loved the painting on it; it goes all the way around. I would have guessed hand-painted, but didn’t know, so thanks for the info.

1 Like

Hi @Ziacat , that is really a beautiful vase, and a lovely story about the travels it made.
Regarding the inscription i don’t have much to add to what @chicfarmer wrote, only that Gouda is a small city, about a 20 min. train ride from where i live, and that it is world renowned for it’s cheese and indeed pottery. It also has some very nicely preserved historic buildings, mainly on the market square in the city centre. Also, i’m very eager to go metal detect in the fields surrounding the city someday (:

2 Likes

Holy moly, that’s pretty impressive! Thanks for sharing

Thank you for that info. I knew it was famous for cheese (love Gouda cheese), but I didn’t know it was famous for pottery. I would love to visit your country someday, it sounds so beautiful. We have a friend who’s family background is from the Netherlands. My uncle was stationed all over Europe and Asia, so he brought back some cool stuff.

I am constantly learning something new on here :grin:

1 Like

I’ve been able to do a little dive into this. This website helped me figure out the little house.Information & history.
I also found on this site this mark which is on the urn.

I’ll eventually do a little more digging and see if I can figure out some of the rest. I think Aurora might be the pattern name. I know it’s not jewelry, but thanks Chicfarmer for helping me on the journey of learning about the urn!

3 Likes

It’s a pleasure @Ziacat ! And it’s true that my country is beautiful, with lots of preserved history. I can recommend a visit, especially to the smaller, more pitoresk places.

2 Likes

I used to live in a house that was formerly river bottom. I would find pottery shards, small toys etc. all the time. I think your shards are Delft based on location but anywhere else they might be English china.

3 Likes