Hallmark on Large Concho

The nearest hallmark I have found is Griffin Tsabetsaye Zuni. Its close but I have doubts since this mark in found on a very large concho. Pic

3 Likes

The art-amerindien site suggests Terry Charlie and other pieces with the same hallmark are attributed to him (with few exceptions, NO ONE selling can or will provide a reference so IMHO it’s a best guess as seems to be the norm with much of the vintage NA jewelry). The pieces by Griffin Tsabetsaye all seem to have his name spelled out.

3 Likes

This looks like Navajo work to me…but :person_shrugging: it doesn’t appear to have the etch marks like in Hopi work, but I can’t see it well.

2 Likes

So, this is a concho as in one panel from a belt, with loop on the back? How big are we talking about? Can we see a pic of the reverse?

This thread, post 4, shows the hallmark as unknown in Art Amerindien, and it doesn’t appear in Hougart’s.
https://forum.turquoisepeople.com/t/can-someone-help-me-identify-this-piece/7034.

Stylistically you can rule out Zuni Tsabetsaye, nor does it resemble online images of Terry Charlie’s silverwork, which is traditional and not figural.

I am not sure of its origin. The imagery seems mixed up, between (I guess) Plains figures and SW buttes and flora–? Maybe just creative license.

5 Likes

I thank every person who has provided input identifying the hallmark. Always appreciated. Here are pics of all the conchos.

It was purchased from the estate of a retire antique dealer many years ago with plans to place into a framed display but my wife does not approve of my plan for a portion of her wall. Happy wife happy life. All I learned about the source was it was from New Mexico. It has copper retainers,

6 Likes