Having a hard time placing this bracelet

Is this bracelet an old early piece, younger contemporary or modern? Is it even Native American? Techniques used are traditional and simple and not very refined like some early pieces. It does not have any maker’s hallmark or silver purity stamp. Weighs 37 grams. Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions please!!!

image|500x500

3 Likes

It’s a neat piece. I’ve never seen anything like it. It looks hammered from the photos. Does it tarnish?

Thank you. Yes it is hammered ingot silver. Not sure whether sterling or coin. It was a little more tarnished when I first got it, I guess it hasn’t been worn in a good while. I’ve been wearing it for sometime now and it’s gotten a little less tarnished from getting “polished” by my sleeves.

1 Like

Not Native American, I don’t believe. Possibly early 20th c. Arts and Crafts, which was big on hammered silver, or revival (later 20th c.) Arts and Crafts style. Or independent artisan work.

Thanks for the info! By Arts and Crafts, do you mean southwestern? Was it like Indian school(guild) but for non NA?

No, not Southwestern. What I’m referring to is “the Arts and Crafts Movement,” a philosophy and design era that originated in the UK in the 19th c and was popular in the US in the early 20th c. You may have heard of “Mission furniture,” which is one example of Arts and Crafts material. Anyway there was a wide range of products produced by companies and individuals, and by student hobbyists. Totally unrelated to Native American output (except that some Arts and Crafts fans admired Native cultures).
The cuff is not the work of someone highly developed as a smith, probably someone learning and working on their own. Just my thought.

That’s great to know. I really appreciate all the info and thanks again!

super-cool find; love it!