Help-Hopi ring identification

2 Likes

So I can’t find any Hopi hallmarks that are just an E, but my Hopi hallmark book is older, so doesn’t mean there aren’t any. However, I did find this Navajo mark

on the Amerindien website.

I can’t tell from your photo; are there any etching marks in the black, or is it just smooth? One thing I learned is that sometimes Navajo pieces can look Hopi, but do not have the etching. Hopi pieces usually have small etched lines all throughout the black.

Anyone else able to find a Hopi hallmark like this?

Oh, and welcome to the website; you will learn a lot here!

There are etchings in the black. Thank you for identifying this hallmark! I must have skipped right over the sighting. Haha. I’ve been learning quite a bit about about jewelry in the last few days and ordered some books. :blush:

Any idea what the symbols are/mean? I’ve looked into those as well, but none of them seem to be exact matches.

I don’t know. And if it’s Navajo, not Hopi, if they have any significance, it could be different. I don’t know that every design has a particular meaning.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help! Any idea where to find missing pieces too? I have a turquoise Lonasee earring that I lost one of. :sleepy:

1 Like

Are you missing a stone from this piece? You can send your jewelry to some place like Perry Null in Gallup, NM (Jason the moderator of this site can give you more information on that), and they can find a stone to match. I’ve had numerous pieces of Native American jewelry fixed at different places out in New Mexico.

If you live outside of the Southwest I would be very careful about having your jewelry fixed any place in your area. I live in IN, and no one here has any idea on how to repair Native American jewelry. Check out this thread that was on here just a few days ago…Help - a jeweler may have damaged my turquoise.

1 Like

I reread that and I see you lost an earring. Is that correct? Someone on here may have an idea on how to help you with that.

1 Like

Yes, correct. Missing the other earring entirely. :pensive:

some help on this page - https://kokopellioutlet.com/hopi-tribe-symbol-glossary/

1 Like

Maybe Google the artist and see what stores sell her stuff? Sorry, I don’t have any better ideas! Or go boho chic and just wear the one you have and put a smaller similar earring in the other ear! Lol. Although I have a cool short dangly lizard earring that I do that with (I wear a little stud in the other ear). My best friend and I split the pair when she moved to AZ.

1 Like

I received some further information I wanted to share. It’s the eye of Ra and the North/South Serpent Uraeus. Both symbols signify feminism. This ring means “girl power” to me and it carries a whole new meaning to cherish. Very grateful it found my mother and she passed it down to me. Thank you all for the help!

I thought of going rogue and mismatching… my ocd brain doesn’t like my ideas. :sweat_smile: I’ve been hunting for the same earrings on ebay, Facebook pages, etsy. Occasionally Google shopping. No luck finding dingle earrings for sale but I’m hopeful!

1 Like