Help identifying unique turquoise

That would be a cool story wouldnt it? :slight_smile: Thanks for all the info Steve!

Apparently there a lot of sellers on Etsy who have done secret mining of Lander Blue.

3 Likes

It may just be a mystery. Does look like some Lone Mountain, but I still think it resembles Chinese Hubei and black web Kingman. @Jason what do you think?

1 Like

I agree with @Ziacat & @markyboy57 that the turquoise in the necklace resembles Chinese turquoise. Either Hubei or Cloud Mountain is my guess. I can’t even go with Kingman on this one. Just my 2 cents…

2 Likes

My guess is Cloud Mountain Chinese because I have several pieces of it.

3 Likes

Please see my latest post in Blue Winds Lander Blue Little Bert King Belt Buckle & History.

I was able to verify by the makers that the turquoise in my buckle is Blue Winds.

1 Like

My comments were about the OP’s pendant stone which I do not believe to be Lander Blue. I also made a joke about sellers on Etsy, since many there are claiming to have Lander Blue turquoise.

1 Like

Beautiful piece @redhead! Several years ago, Gene Waddell, an owner of the Lone Mountain Mine, and very knowledgable about turquoise, identified an older ring I have as Lone Mountain. He has some absolutely fabulous Lone Mountain black spiderweb cabs! If you ever get to Scottsdale, stop by his gallery. If he’s there, he’d probably like to see your necklace.

3 Likes

I don’t think of this stone as Lone Mountain. The necklace does have some age and we think of earlier Chinese turquoise as having symetrical cuts. I want to say the stone reminds me of Turquoise Mountain. That black web Kingman didn’t seem to come around until in the last 10 - 15 years. You could arque the stone to be several different things. It is a little bluer than I remember the Turquoise Mountain being, but the matrix is spot on.

4 Likes

Thanks, Jason. Turquoise never ceases to amaze me and make me scratch my head all at the same time.

1 Like

@Jason thank you, and you too @Ziacat! The story on these is that my mother and father had them made before my sister and I were born (not knowing if they’d have boys or girls, they were practical, so I also have inherited a set of turquoise and coral rings and men’s cuffs :slight_smile: ) and they only wanted two children so they bought this set, and the pearl set. He also told me it was “lone mountain or lander, something with an L.” Now, he was human and losing his memory before he passed, so I’m absolutely not set on that being accurate, lol. And I absolutely don’t think it’s lander because, well, what are the odds? Dad also used to say some of our other turquoise pieces were “bull-ger turquoise” he prounounced it that way too, and I have no idea what that means. I’ve looked at blue moon, candelaria, indian mountain, morencia, lone mountain, lander, turquoise mountain, apache, kingman etc etc etc, and I can honestly say I have NO idea what the heck this stone is. Bottom line to me is, it’s gorgeous, and I just wish there was a way to track down what mine it came from! I’m going to do some more research and see if I can narrow it down at all. I needed something else to drive me crazy! Lol! :rofl: @Bmpdvm I may have to visit Scottsdale! Thanks for all the help and input guys!

3 Likes

What a beautiful story! It’s always so special to have family background on a piece. Unfortunately I don’t think you’re ever going to be able to say exactly where your stone is from. You might have a pretty good idea, and I would really consider what Jason says. He’s worked for years and years in the turquoise business. But without actual provenance you’re just not going to be able to say 100%. But that’s okay! You know it’s a beautiful pendant, you know it has a great backstory, and you know it’s a lovely piece of turquoise. On top of it, you made us all put on our thinking caps! And I’m forever posting pictures of my turquoise on here, and asking people their opinion on what it might be. Because it’s fun!

A totally unrelated side note, on my phone, every time I voice text the word provenance, it comes out Providence with a capital P :joy:

1 Like

post some pictures of these.

“bull-ger”: Wonder if he was thinking of Burnham-Godber turquoise (also called Godber-Burnham).

That’s exactly what I thought @chicfarmer! I only have one Burnham ring, but it’s beautiful turquoise. @redhead please post yours!

1 Like

i’m thinking boulder

boulder

3 Likes

So, what is boulder turquoise? It’s not a mine…from what I’ve seen, it a thin vein of turquoise running through host rock. I’m not a fan, but would like to know more about it.

2 Likes

According to this Durango Silver link, it’s mostly been found at the Royston and Pilot Mountain mines, but has also been mined other places. All the way at the end of the article it says boulder turquoise isn’t a specific mine.

As mentioned already, Boulder turquoise & Ribbon turquoise aren’t mines. For me, it’s a visual. Ribbon turquoise really looks like a “ribbon” running through host rock. Boulder turquoise is mostly host rock with a smattering of turquoise. This is how I distinguish the two, though, I’ve seen many online sellers use the words Boulder & Ribbon interchangeably. I don’t consider that accurate, but that’s just me. And I usually see “Royston” used in front of Ribbon turquoise. I’m not a fan of either of these turquoises but, I wanted to own a sample of each.

These are my 2 rings. The one on the left is Boulder turquoise. The one on the right is Royston Ribbon turquoise (non-NA made.)

5 Likes