Help with identifying Maker

I have always collected, however, I never really took much time to learn about this intricacies of the pieces I have. I’ve recently become super interested, so I am glad to have found this group! Of course, that now means I have a LOT of questions on a couple of pieces I have in my collection. I hope you can help me LEARN! The turquoise on this piece if rough, which is what drew me to it, but the coral is very smooth. Please ignore the glare on the ring…it has a very nice patina. The only marking is “RBP”. The leaves are actually hollow, which you can see from the side pictures.From what little I have seen, I believe it to be Raymond Platero. The blossom style is nearly identical, as are the leaves, although I cannot find much information about him or his mark. I have also seen Ramone Platero. Are they the same? Am I way off base? Any clue as to when this piece might have been made, or a value? I appreciate any information you can offer, and really look forward to learning more! ring1|375x500

1 Like

Nice ring. Ramone Platero did leaf work. I am not familiar with a Raymond Platero, Hougart’s book references a Robert Platero who used a RP make. You might add an image of the top.

Darn, I think I missed attaching it, so I’ll add it now! I will look into Robert for sure, as searching Raymond has ONLY brought up etsy listings, plus, I couldn’t find any name with a “b”. I looked through a website of markings and could not find this one. I dig as deep as possible before asking! Here is the top of the ring:

1 Like

i have a ring with a very similar script RBP mark, but no leaf work. i have seen this signature on ebay, usually attributed to Robert, Raymond or Ramone Platero. Pretty sure your leaves are not in the style of Ramon, who used more of a holly leaf shape. I bought mine because i like the sort of ‘flower pot’ look.

1 Like

VERY similar! My coral is very smooth like that as well. My turquoise is rough, but the closer I look, I am not certain is was original. I wonder if mine was originally smooth as well? The flower was definitely what drew me to the ring!

your turquoise almost looks like a replacement stone - the bezel is a slightly different shape, and the turquoise sits in it a little looser than the coral, not as tight a fit. IDK, it’s got a great look!

I’d love to know the source of the RBP mark.

1 Like

Yes, the more I think about it, I agree it is a replacement stone. Thank you! I am going to keep digging as much as possible