Help with Turquoise and Age

Looking for help with turquoise and the age of this piece. The silver is thin and appears to have been cleaned recently. No hallmarks but stamped silver in two places. Thanks Much

I believe this is Persian turquoise. Can we see the back please?

Hi @Bigbree43
I initially thought maybe Persian due to the high dome. I’m not used to seeing this color combination in the few other Persian pieces that I have. So I kinda ruled that out, but you’re probably right. I have included a picture of the back. Maybe you can date it by seeing the back? I appreciate your help!

When I saw you pic, it immediately reminded me of Golden Hills Turquoise from Kazakhstan. I thought that the use of Persian turquoise was a modern feature in NA jewelry, but Jason tagged me in a post that said it’s been used in jewelry since at least the 70’s. I would say this is from the 70’s or so, regardless if the turquoise is Persian or not :slight_smile:

1 Like

In John Adair’s book Navajo and Pueblo Silversmiths he talks about the first turquoise used and mentions Hubbell Trading Post ordering Persian turquoise to be used in Navajo silver in the late 1800s.

2 Likes

I don’t know what to call the turquoise, but not sure it is Persian.

However, I just came across this Persian stone in an Aaron Anderson necklace.

1 Like