Help with Turquoise in this cuff

I have this turquoise cuff by Jefferson Abeyta. Looking for help with the turquoise? Thinking it might be Chinese? I was able to find another bracelet in the exact same design when I googled his work. One that appeared to have American turquoise recently sold for 1495. If my cuff is Chinese turquoise would it be valued less? Or is value based more by the designer who made it? Thanks All

2 Likes

This is the other recently sold with American turquoise.

2 Likes

Turquoise is tough, you could make an argument for something American. Call it Goober-Burnham. In my opinion is the same thing that is in the other bracelet, just a little different web pattern. From the images the blues look dead on.

3 Likes

Chinese turquoise varies in value just like American turquoise. Some of the high quality stuff is commanding quite high prices. There is an article on Durango Silver’s website about Chinese turquoise that was written several years ago. You could also check out the cost of some of the cabs they have for sale. From what I have read, the demand for good Chinese turquoise is escalating since their government has shut down the mines. I’m thinking the prices will go up as a result.
That’s a great bracelet you found.

2 Likes

Thanks Jason. I like that argument. I don’t have any Goober-Burnham so that would be great!

2 Likes

Thanks islandmomma. I have read that before but it’s always good to revisit when your trying to learn. It noted that most all Chinese Turquoise sold is stabilized with plastic or treated in some way. It’s hard to tell from the picures but the turquoise in my cuff does have pitting so I believe it is natural and unstablized. I agree with Jason’s argument that it might be American. I would like to get some nice Chinese turquoise before it skyrockets!

2 Likes

I think Jason mis-typed the mine. I believe if it Godber-Burnham, no goober. :wink:

Yes, typos all the way around. Thanks