Hopi H piece

Wear it and enjoy it! These pieces are meant to be worn, and regular wear is the best way to keep silver from tarnishing but also maintain a natural patina.

5 Likes

@Ziacat @TAH @OrbitOrange , Great thoughts! I did buy it to wear it. What appealed to me was it’s collar length (I can wear it with both a choker and a longer necklace) and that it’s all silver (so it goes with anything!)

@Ziacat Hugs to you, your brother and your family. Prayers for peace in whatever may come. Been thinking of you my friend. :disappointed:

4 Likes

Awww, thank you!

You know one of the things I like best about your necklace is the awesome chain.

1 Like

@Ziacat it is really different. It’s so thick and medieval looking, I think that’s what made me question whether it was Hopi or not.
@mmrogers Can you tell what decade it might be from? You seemed to really key in on the construction details. Thx!

5 Likes

Hard to tell what decade from the construction alone. If I had to guess I’d say mid to late 60’s to early 70’s, but everything on this necklace was made completely by hand, so there are no easy reference points like commercial findings from a particular era to go by. I do see milled 1/2 round wire likely purchased from a supply house like Indian Jewelers Supply in Gallup being used in the chain and connectors, and also a fine checkering file from the same type of source. Checkering files weren’t widely used in Native jewelry until the 60’s, so that’s a clue as to time frame.

1 Like

Thank you @mmrogers! It amazes me how you can look at components and unravel the mystery. You’ve got quite the talent! As do others on this forum. So much knowledge in one little spot!

Btw, I’m curious, what is a checkering file? Like what does it look like and how does it make the marks?

2 Likes

The files in the following link are checkering files. They came into wide use in Native jewelry for serrating bezels. Traditionally they’re used in trades like gun and knife making to create the fine checkered patterns on grips. The fine lines on the links and connectors of your necklace were created by filing in one direction with a checkering file, creating the series of evenly spaced fine lines in the little ears of corn, and on some of the connecting 1/2 round links. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/8ukAAOSw-s5eKtSU/s-l640.jpg

4 Likes

@mmrogers That’s so interesting. Thank you so much for the insight!!!

3 Likes