I am interested inbuying a pieceof jewelry but need more info

Hello to all in this form. I am new here and would like a little information about a brooch that I am
looking to buy. I would like to know a little more about this piece. It is signed,can you tell me if
this is an authentic piece and what age would it have.

Thank you
Denise

I hope this doesn’t sound like a lecture, just trying to help. Authentic, well only 1 person knows that, the person who made it. That’s always the bottom line with Native American Jewelry. Unless you watched someone make it, and buy from the craftsman. Few more tips, Native American jewelry was not often signed at All, Ever, until roughly 1970. Native American jewelry pre 1970 is a subject that fills books. When buying any tourquise, one must take a good look, and judue based on many factors. This is petit point. Very small pieces of gemstones, or plastic, enamels, etc, making up a entire work. Very easy to use fake block tourquise to do this. However, it’s also the best way to use small almost perfect blue gemstones of tourquise. Spend some time reading about fake or Block tourquise. This will help. Look for small irregularities in the blue, this speak of the real deal. Look at tourquise in nature,raw,and u will see why this type of jewelry is made, tourquise has a matrix of other things such as pyrite. It is found with copper. That said, this looks like a lovely piece of Native American Jewelry with a nice patina on the back. The pin and pendant clasp are common to legitimacy, I imagine you understand patinas, these can be faked. This is not generally the style of jewelry that is " fake ". Much fake non Native, “Native looking” Jewelery is simply American or Mexican , Chinese, inexpensive jewelry sold as real tourquise, its about making that 150$ from what is 10$ tourist, or costume jewelry. Often what’s called nickel silver, Tibetian Silver, ( both not silver ), its cheap jewelry that has block tourquise. Block tourquise is a must look up online for anyone who buys tourquise. If you see a 925, meaning .925 silver content, chances are thats the real deal, Sterling Silver. Most fake torquoise is not placed in real Silver. So, one must judge the piece as a whole based on all these factors, but most important…do u love it? If so, it’s for you. I own a bolo exactly like this, marked 350. at a San Francisco Jewelers, I paid 150., as I shop so often with them. I think it’s legit, hope this helps you or someone. Best, Bartleby.

1 Like

Hello Bartleby,
I would like to thank you very much for your great explanation, I have learned a great deal from you
and have looked up block turquoise, I am still doing lots reading and research of Native American Jewelry.
This is a very helpful site and I have seen some gorgeous pieces in here.

Kind Regards
Denise

1 Like

It’s my pleasure, enjoy!

Just adding that if you do see 925 on “Native American” jewelry, chances are it is not NA. Also, literally tons of fake NA jewelry is coming out of the Philippines and China. It may say sterling, but it may not be. Research the arrests in New Mexico in the Fall of 2015 of 3 people supplying and selling Filipino made jewelry as Native American. The
search warrant is fascinating to read. It’s a little hard to find on the internet, but if you want it I can send a link–not
sure links are allowed here.

1 Like

I am extremely interested in the realities of what I call modern turquoise. Meaning the history mostly. I am aware of types, etc., from experience & research. My step father was a Geologist, this helped as well. Any good books, etc?
Best 2 u n urs, Bartleby.

Some of the best books about turquoise that I am aware of are in order 1. Turquoise The world story of a Fascinating Gemstone by Lowry & Lowry 2. Turquoise Mines, Mineral & wearable Art by Mark P. Block 3.Turquoise Jewel of the Southwest by Annie Osburn

1 Like

Thanks. That should keep me busy f I r a bit. I appriciate it.