Is my cute little single stone cuff actually 1930’s

I have a cute little single stone cuff that the seller described as 1930’s. The turquoise looks a lot like the Royston in a Darryl Becenti cuff that I own. The cuff weighs about 35g and is 1 1/4” tall in the front. The beading and twisted wire around the stone is nicely done. When you look at the cuff from the top the silver doesn’t appear to be the same thickness. One side looks slightly thicker than the other. What I’m interested in learning is if this is a Fred Harvey cuff and if it’s truly from the 30’s. Thanks again for your help.

3 Likes

What a great stone, both green and blue together!

It looks Harvey but the stamping on the shanks seems too detailed…isn’t Harvey stuff more simplistic and usually symbols ( or If stamped, not this many lines and texture)? This design seems deeper, more unique, more of an NA look. Still would say composed of sheet metal pieces, though, like Harveys.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will opine, but if this is a Harvey, it’s a better one than what I’ve seen.

4 Likes

Not an expert but the same things I noticed. The Harvey cuffs tend to have small picto graph type stamps like thunderbirds, arrows, cactus etc, the stamping on this cuff is deeper, more connected and large.

1 Like

Thank you and Xtina. I also think that it’s a little more detailed than regular Fred Harvey pieces. I also think that the stone may be Royston. I was very happy when I unwrapped it.

1 Like

@Jason will you please give us your opinion about this cuff. Xtina, JW and I all think it’s a little too detailed to be a FH piece. Do you think it’s from that time frame? I also noticed that the silver doesn’t seem to be the same thickness on each side when viewed from the top. And lastly, could the turquoise be Royston? Thanks.

Hi There! Love seeing all your wonderful jewelry, and the questions about types of turquoise. Just FYI, Dennis June wrote a wonderful book on Fred Harvey jewelry that might be a good addition to your library. He gives some good ways to determine the authenticity of the old Fred Harvey pieces vs newer “Harvey type” pieces. From your picture it appears your cuff is stamped not rolled, which is good! Unfortunately, we are moving and all my references are books (and jewelry) are packed away. My thoughts about the turquoise if that it appears to be a gemish (?) - gorgeous! I’m no expert, but I’m wondering about possibly Blue Gem?
Great discussion!

2 Likes

Thank you for your comment. Dennis’s book is one of a few that I don’t have and today might be a good day to order one. Love your idea of Blue Gem. I had a new Royston cuff out with it and didn’t think about that one. Now I have compared it to another Blue Gem and think it’s a definite possibility. Thanks again.

1 Like

It’s the other way around: rolled is the higher end production method compared to stamped. “Stamped” can mean it has handstamping, but it can also mean machine pressed, which is the distinction here, I think, vs. rolled silver.

In any case, the gram weight of this cuff points to rolled, and it’s a really nice bracelet. It’s such an ambiguous category in that it can be Navajo and commercial (vs for indigenous wear) but not Fred Harvey material.

I find the Dennis June book fun and with attractive photos but skimpy on the text, esp since it focuses almost entirely on the FH bracelets. It’s not the definitive read on FH stuff–that book doesn’t exist.

3 Likes

Thanks for your insight. I have another cuff waiting for me to get home from my “vacation “ with two of my grandsons and their menagerie of animals. So far I only have two pictures from the seller but it has some features that make me wonder about it also. I’m going to post them and I can follow up after I get to actually see it. It has a chain type border around the stone that I personally haven’t seen on FH pieces. Bought from a lady in Great Britain. I think it is FH though because of the band. It is approximately 23g.

2 Likes

Oh I like that one!!

1 Like

Thanks. I’m looking forward to seeing it in person. It’s been delivered and is probably on the dining room table where my husband usually deposits the mail.

1 Like

@Islandmomma this new one is nice, too! I think this is a Harvey; has the telltale horse/dog stamp on the side. Also, to note the difference between this one and your other, the first one is handmade and detailed. This one looks more like the tourist-style Harveys with the simple stamps lacking detail. The front piece looks to be applied.

1 Like