Jesse Monongya Tufa Cuff

I came across this Jesse Monongya(Monongye?) cuff while vacationing in CA. It’s a very unusual design that did not strike me as being Native American. The hallmark didn’t strike me as being NA when I first saw it either. I just happened to be browsing through Hougart’s when I spotted it the hallmark; according to the text, this mark was used circa 1977. The stone is unfortunately cracked, and was likely a result of it being dropped. The bone might be ivory perhaps? The cuff is ridiculously heavy, and I believe it’s tufa cast.

Additionally, does anyone know why Jesse spells his last name differently from his father Preston? Thanks!!

12 Likes

What a beautiful and unique cuff. Are you going to repair the cracked stone?

2 Likes

It’s so modern and stylish! Is that malachite? You do find the most awesome pieces!

1 Like

Thanks! I think I would like to have it repaired! Admittedly I forgot to drop it off when I was at Perry Null’s last week, so hopefully I can get it fixed soon

I do believe it’s malachite, and I actually think it’s probably some of the nicer malachite that I’ve seen used in jewelry!

2 Likes

I wonder if its something interesting like fossil ivory? Interesting looking cuff - very modernistic.

I believe that spelling in Hougart’s book is a misspelling, he has it typed Jesse Monongya but the hallmarks attributed to him are spelt Monongye. What a great find. I understand he has a studio in the Phoenix area, this would be a cool bracelet to get some information from him.

2 Likes

That cuff is great in its simplicity. The malachite has a beautiful pattern that really shows up next to the bone/ivory with the inlay border.

4 Likes

Thanks Jason, I reached out to him. Hopefully he responds.

1 Like

I reached out to Jesse, and this is the response I recieved from his assistant (who is his daughter):

What surprised me the most is how old this cuff actually is. I know Bille Hougart’s textbook gave accurate dates for this mark, but the cuff is so modern and sleek, it just astounded me that this is almost a 50 year old cuff.

Ms. Sophia’s email left me with more questions than answers. I asked for clarification about what kind of ivory is used, and how Jesse is affiliated with the other artists. Sadly, I did not receive a reply.

9 Likes

Look at how modern and sleek Loloma’s work was, at about the same time.

3 Likes

You’re absolutely correct. Good insight!

1 Like

Monongye is the Hopi spelling and Monongya is the Navajo spelling. Because Jesse was raised by his Navajo relatives, he uses that spelling.

5 Likes

Amazing Cuff Bree…you have such an awesome eye!
~Koliopee

1 Like

Thank youu!!! I had no idea.

2 Likes

Thank @koliopee😘 I love unique pieces

1 Like

Me too! When i get home Ill post this contemporary NA Jewelry book I have…you would love it! Its about the movement of traditional NA artists exploring the non traditional styles and bringing a more sculptural personal approach to jewelry…just stand by and I’ll post it!
~Koliopee

1 Like

It says southwest but its primarily NA jewelers and in fact your guy is in it in many places with expected and unexpected work and the history behind it

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this. I have the book (from a friend) but put it on the shelf and forgot about it. I’m glad to be reminded so I can read it. BigBree43’s cuff is awesome!

1 Like