Kewa, Santo Domingo, Puebla Earrings?

What is the proper term for this style? My earrings have a white plastic back, not the typical black plastic. Is that common? Also they seem newer (80’s, 90’s) to me. Don’t look at the backings, one was missing a post so I used what I had. Hope I didn’t ruin them, but at least they are wearable now.
I kinda like them so I hope they are not one of those mass produced Asian look alike things.

1 Like

We just always refer to them as Santo Domingo mosaic inlay. Not that long ago you would see a number of sellers from Santo Domingo coming over to Gallup to sell, not today.

1 Like

Good to know! I have been through Gallup many times on my Colorado. Anything worth stopping for there?

Perry Null Trading Company :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Gallup is my town, so yeah I think you have a number of things here that would spark the interest. First, we have a number of businesses that sell Native American art purchased directly from artists. Gallup is considered the source and is a wholesale town. Next, some of the best New Mexican food in the state, check out Don Diegos, Jerrys & Generos. You can burn off those enchiladas on one of our many trails, biking or hiking. Summertime brings free nightly dances at the courthouse square. A real town with real people.

4 Likes

Wow, three of my favorite things. Hiking, Art and food. It sounds like we should stop and stay the night. Or maybe make a weekend trip of it. Ha! It’s been so long since I have been anywhere! Got my second COVID shot last week and am ready to get out and do something!

A visit to Gallup is on my bucket list! My daughter lives in Prescott, AZ…another small town with great people. When this Covid thing is over and I can visit her again, I think it’s time to pop over to Gallup!

2 Likes

Ooh, have you been to Ogg’s Hogan? I am dying to make it there.

2 Likes

Ogg’s Hogan is AWESOME!!! Jeff Ogg is the owner there…his parents had some sort of trading post, so he has grown up working with the local artists and silversmiths. He is an absolute wealth of information and has been able to locate a number of special requests for me. His shop is loaded with quality jewelry, from old pawn to the new stuff (mostly old), but he also carries rugs, baskets, pottery and anything local and old. I have to set aside several hours every time I go there. He also has a vast collection of books to use for researching items or artists. On a side note, he runs the place himself and he’s not exactly a young pup. While I’ve never had an unpleasant experience, my husband was there a couple months ago to purchase a gift for me and was very put off. My hope is that it was just an off day, but if I’m making the recommendation, I feel like I need to include that.
Definitely go there…you’ll LOVE it!!

4 Likes

Another Ogg’s Hogan fan. Jeff is a special guy, from a family with several generations of Fred Harvey traders. It’s a whole atmosphere there, and amazing Old West material.

4 Likes

I’ve been to many, many galleries, trading posts, and shops all over the West. Ogg’s Hogan is my favorite.

3 Likes

All very consistent with what I’ve heard before. I really hope to make it there soon!

1 Like

Been to and thru Gallup many times. Nice place, nice people.

1 Like