Looking for a Knifewing expert for possible ID

Acquired a new treasure on vacay, and am curious if anyone has a strong opinion on the maker. I’m in love with it either way, ID’d or not. I’ve been jonesing for a Knifewing ring for some time, and this one flew onto my finger and stayed there. :smiley: super teeny inlay, some the size of the head of a pin, set in what appears to be bone? I am assuming Zuni work, no idea on age, i welcome all your thoughts and expertise!

Happy Wednesday!

7 Likes

I know very little about knifewings, but I know I love your ring! And I know what you’re saying about it going on your finger and just staying there😆

3 Likes

I think of that separation and style to be Frank Vacit. However, I can’t find a Knifewing attributed to him that looks like this. I added two pictures, one showing an inlay into shell like this ring and then the style I am referring to.

3 Likes

F Vacit was my instinct as well. Agree that the background is likely shell (not bone): maybe you can see a bit of luster?
Very handsome setting too!

2 Likes

Whoops double post, slow internet

1 Like

Wow a Vacit possibility is amazing! It’s funny you mention being set in shell rather than bone, after i posted the pictures, i looked a little closer and thought it might be shell with the top layer of luster worn off.

You all are the best!

1 Like

Drumroll please… its Elliot Qualo!! Background is white shell, and someone i spoke to has a near identical piece that is fully hallmarked. So excited for this attribution! Totally unexpected.

8 Likes

Congrats, beautiful piece!

3 Likes

Am I remembering right that you were going back to visit NM? Amd now you have an awesome trip memento! He’s beautiful.

2 Likes

3 Likes

WOWSERS. I don’t have a worthpoint account - what did that big boy go for?

1 Like

Yes! we got back last Friday. It was WONDERFUL! amazing food, lots of rest, fresh air and mountains, hot springs, and JEWELRY. what could be better?

I was worried when i bought him that i was overpaying, but now that i know who his daddy is, i’m not quite so worried. :wink:

2 Likes

Couldn’t find the above one, but here’s another from Worthpoint:

• SOLD FOR$1,047.99
  • SOLD DATE Jan 19, 2022
  • SOURCE eBay
3 Likes

I’m sure it was wonderful. We’re thinking we might go back out there next year. I would like to go back to Bandelier, and some day visit Acoma Pueblo. And shop for jewelry of course.

And most definitely an awesome ring! He needed a new home where someone loved him.

2 Likes

I loved New Mexico. Beautiful state!

Bandelier was so neat, @Ziacat! That was my son’s first “climbing exoerience” :wink: going up those ladders at age 6. The grandmas freaked when they saw the pictures. LOL.

3 Likes