M Weahkee

I have a very large cuff with 3 beautiful stones, stamped M Weahkee - which I’m sure is Manuel Weahkee. Could somebody tell me is he Zuni or Navajo?
Everything seems to point to Zuni but I have seen him listed as Navajo.

1 Like

2 Likes

Thanks Steve! This is what I have found too. They reference his work as Navajo but everything in his bio seems to indicate that he and his wife, Sharon, were tied to the Zuni’s. I am attaching pictures. Would like to date the bracelet and perhaps get an idea as to what the turquoise is. I appreciate your help.

JP

2 Likes

4 Likes

Jason - your thoughts?

1 Like

I googled and noticed the same. Really hard to figure out. Sometimes Navajo and Zuni would both be mentioned in reference to the same pieces. :person_shrugging:

Your cuff looks Navajo anyway; love it.

1 Like

It is interesting, the name is Zuni and the style is Navajo. Could be a number of explanations, the two that seem like a real possibility is that Sharon is a Navajo and he became part of that jewelry making family. I did find a Weahkee with an address in Prewitt (Navajo Reservation), the only one not in Zuni. The other is this is just the style of jewelry that they make, remember the first Zuni silversmiths had been taught by Navajo silversmiths.

3 Likes

You guys are alway so helpful! Thank you - thank you - thank you!
Thoughts on the stones? I know the pics aren’t too good - just was shooting them quick for y’all. Will let you know if I find out anything more.

1 Like

around the 1 minute mark in this video he states that he has been carving fetishes 20-30 years since he stopped silversmithing.

In the Studio with Manuel Weahkee

https://vimeo.com/444707856

1 Like