Massive Ram and Turquoise Cuff

I’m hoping that one of you can give me some information about this cuff. It is substantial at 152g and 2 1/2” tall. It is completely unmarked. I think it has some age and that the turquoise is #8. I have many questions: are the leaves and ram handmade or just applied? Is the style attributable to a specific artist? What would you say is an approximate age? Can you give me an idea of value?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

3 Likes

That is some beautiful turquoise right there. Have you considered that it might also be Persian? Regardless, it’s a fantastic little cab. The ram looks to be cast, but the leaves look hand made to me.

I would have $265-285 on this piece. Im not sure how much it weighs, which would impact the value a lot. I wonder what others here think, in regards to the maker. I wonder if it’s Native made or not. Either way, I love the stone. The cuff doesn’t do it justice, IMO.

1 Like

I hadn’t even thought about Persian. I guess because the other Persian that I have has a higher polish. This you can feel the matrix. The cuff is massive. 2 1/2” tall and 152 grams. Solid and heavy. I thought the leaves looked handmade but couldn’t decide about the Ram. Somehow I expect more symmetry with a casting but I’m not knowledgeable enough to make the call. I too love the turquoise. It’s about 5/8” by 1/2”.

Love the cuff. Some history about the Big Horn & The Sheep Eaters of Wyoming

1 Like

That would be a piece of Persian Turquoise. That ram is going to be a cast piece of silver, and I believe you are right about the leaves. Lots of times silversmiths are asked to create something that the person commissioning wants made, so it has a little different look. I would think this is Navajo work. Lots of Persian was showing up in the 1970s-80s, I would think this piece is 1980ish. I think Bigbree is right on the price.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. Are you thinking $285.00 for a piece that heavy? It’s 152 grams. Does weight not influence the value?

That is around $70 in silver. If a large piece of turquoise was the main design, and it was a nice rock, I would say $600 and up. I think this design and the style of cuff, $285 makes sense. What are you thinking?

2 Likes

I’m trying to learn and the way you just explained it makes perfect sense. I’m going to attach a picture of another cuff slightly smaller and about 20grams lighter. What would the value of that be compared with the Ram?
Thanks.

1 Like

It is a wire bracelet, nice look. I am thinking that is a piece of Chinese Turquoise, same ballpark as the wide one.

1 Like

Both are very nice. I was immediately fond of the Chinese turquoise bracelet when you initially posted it. Did you ever find out more on the Broken Arrow bracelet?

1 Like

No I haven’t. Things were really busy at work this year and my researching got put on the back burner. I was actually wearing it yesterday when you asked the question so maybe it’s time to learn more. Thanks for asking and getting me back on track.

I don’t know what the value is, but I would list it in the $400 range and go from there.

1 Like