My finds after learning about turquoise for 8 days

Hi everyone! First post ever here. French canadian girl who got interested in turquoise just last week :slightly_smiling_face: I decided to go to my local flea market and see if I could test my new found very limited knowledge about turquoise and came back with these. I love the bigger ring the most! Can anyone tell me which mine that turquoise is from? I guessed manassa or kingman but I’m probably wrong?

12 Likes

Welcome to Turquoise People. From left to right my guess would be something like Royston, Turquoise Mountain and Castle Dome.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Great flea market finds, you did good!!

I don’t know how many Simplicios (Dan Simplicio family) make jewelry, but I think that’s probably a really lucky find there.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum! In case you didn’t notice, the large ring is awesome. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thank you Jason! I have never heard of castle dome, I’ll have to look that up.

1 Like

The bright blue turquoise is what drew me in to these earrings and the silverwork I thought was excellent compared to the other things I saw there. I really like them a lot but I am debating if I should switch the clips to regular hooks or studs so I would wear them more. Or is that a bad thing to do in case I ever want to sell them in the future???

2 Likes

The clip on earrings I believe are Carmalia Simplicio. The first ring reminds me of Blue Gem (which is often similar appearing to Royston).

2 Likes

I fell in love with that ring! It had everything going for it : it’s my size, the stone is a fantastic teal with the bit of cognac brown that matches my leather bags perfectly, the design is simple and modern but substantial, it’s sterling and it’s signed by the artist. Could not ask for more and I’ve been wearng it every day since I got it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I could only find a Carmelita and the pictures of her work match the earrings I have perfectly. The first ring is unmarked and not signed but I liked the color or the turquoise in it and it’s dainty size (less than half an inch). I’ll have to look into Blue Gem mine, thank you!

1 Like

That’s her, I spelled the name wrong :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

First of all, welcome to the forum! And I just want to say I LOVE Canada. I have spent a lot of time there, most of it in Ontario. Back in 2015 we made it to Quebec and I absolutely fell in love with it. Unfortunately we didn’t have a lot of time, but we got to stay one night in Quebec City. We have a French last name so everyone kept thinking I could speak French, which I can’t :crazy_face:. I hope to come back and visit your wonderful province soon!

So you have some beautiful pieces. I saw the name Simplicio and was interested, because I have an old belt buckle from the '70s that I inherited from my dad that was made by Dan Simplicio. And if I were you, I would definitely have them converted and enjoy them. I have two pair of Navajo earrings that my mother bought in Santa Fe in the '40s which I had switched from screw back to post, and I’m so glad I did it.

Castle Dome turquoise, from what I understand, is a byproduct of a copper mine in Arizona a few miles west of the town of Miami (not FL :grin:). I have a cuff which I believe may have Castle Dome turquoise in it, and it reminds me a bit of the stones in your earrings. It is also been referred to as Pinto Valley.

Wear your jewelry with joy, it’s amazing Native American Art!

3 Likes

I hope you had poutine when you were up North with us, everyone needs to experience that once in their lives, lol! Québec is a beautiful city with a european flair. I tried to wear the earrings and couldn’t go past the 2 hour mark because they pinched too much so I will have them converted. It would be a shame to not wear them at all! Thanks for the information on Castle Dome turquoise and yes, I will absolutely wear my jewelry with joy :slight_smile:

1 Like

My husband and I did share some poutine, and it was pretty tasty.

I don’t remember anymore where I had my earrings converted, but Perry Null (a store not a person) in Gallup could fix your earrings. Jason, who is the moderator of this forum, can give you the address. If you’ve read much on this site, you will have noticed that the topic of fixing jewelry often comes up. The general consensus is you need to have them fixed by someone who knows how to work with Native American jewelry. I learned the hard way by having a piece ruined by someone who didn’t.

4 Likes

Perry is a person, unless his bio is wrong. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You are right, I just meant to let her know that she’s sending it to a store if she chooses to get it fixed there. Not worded well at all on my end. Thanks for the correction!

2 Likes

thank you both for the clarification

I’m going to second @Ziacat that if you decide to get the earrings converted, definitely send them to someone who is experienced in working with Native American jewelry and turquoise. That generally means sending them to the Southwest. Turquoise is a soft stone that can change color easily or break when exposed to the heat from soldering. Usually the stones need to be removed for any soldering to be done and then reset, or sometimes a special laser solder can be used. There are a few threads on here where people have had their jewelry ruined by people who didn’t know what they were doing.

1 Like

You can get foam pads, similar to the ones people put on eye glasses nose pieces. It will keep them from pinching. I hate to see the designs changed from the original and you may find they are too heavy as posts.
Just a thought.

1 Like

@KarineV great finds! For clip earrings, I devised a little hack where you can keep the clips yet wear them as posts! It works for most if the design of the earring can conceal the post and if it lays right.

First, get yourself a package of Flat Pad Posts. I found these at Hobby Lobby for $3.99…

Most clips have a whole in them…

Slide the post thru the hole, then clip it shut. That will hold the post…

You could tack the post to the clip with a touch of hotmelt glue if it bugs you that it moves a tad (the hotmelt is removable if needed) or just leave it loose…

And wha la! Clip earrings worn as posts without conversion! (Pardon the bed head LOL)

10 Likes

That is GENIUS. Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes