Name that stone!

I was going thru some older photos and saw this ring at an antique store. It kind of reminded me of the one @Xtina posted not too long ago. I’m curious what the stone might be. It appears to be almost an amber color with gold flecks in it. And stylistically is it NA? Victorian? Mexican? It does have something enscribed on the back, but I’m not quite able to make it out. Thanks for any clues you might have!

3 Likes

Don’t believe this to be Native American. Great looking ring and I think you called the stone.

Yes, I would bet money that is amber. Now you need to see if there’s mosquito DNA in it to clone a dinosaur :laughing:

It’s really cool!

1 Like

I agree with Jason it looks like Amber. If you have a Black Light and shine it on it Amber turns a Milky Blue-Green Color

2 Likes

Thank you all for your input! This is what i love so much about this forum. That’s pretty cool about the black light turning it milky blue/green. I’ve never heard of that and have no amber jewelry. I’ll see if I can find one and go back to check it out! What might the gold flecks be? (if they’re not dinosaur DNA…lol) :smirk:

2 Likes

btw,the old hot pin test works too. amber shouldn’t smell like plastic.
&
the “oh,but it has a bug in it!” doesn’t count-they can put bugs in plastic

4 Likes

Does it flash different colors when you move your hand in the light. Something about the green tinge of color made me think fire opal. A closer picture of the stone might help. The others all say amber so I may be imagining things. Lol

3 Likes

i was thinking fire agate, based on that green flash.

5 Likes

I think I am still leaning towards amber, but totally see the fire agate similarity. I didn’t know what they looked like, so I googled. This stone does look like one of those also; I had no idea they are so beautiful! The bubbles here just reminded me of amber.

Here is a photo of the one amber piece I own. A student of mine bought it in Estonia. It seems to be greener (except for the middle piece), and has goldish flecks.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting that picture. I have never has green amber and completely forgot about it. It does look like that.

1 Like

You are welcome; I almost totally forgot about it; I don’t wear that pendant a lot (cause I mostly wear Native American jewelry). Now I need to Google fire opal. I’ve learned so much about different stones on this site!

I used to have an amber ring (I think I donated it since I didn’t wear it much), and it had the bubbly appearance on inside like @GreenRock’s ring.

1 Like

So I took another look at the stone in that ring today. It was cloudy out and the antique store is in a poorly lit barn, so my original pics were better than today’s. The stone appeared more caramel colored and the flecks did sparkle with a bit of green as well as the gold. A different lady was working and she thought it was Mexican Opal. She seemed a bit more savvy than the prior two when it came to stones. Winner winner chicken dinner???

2 Likes

Ok, I’ve been through my pictures and am going to post Amber, Fire Agate and Boulder Opal. I hope this will help you to decide what the stone is. I’m still leaning towards Fire Agate.

4 Likes

I’m still gonna say amber. Not sure why, but just has that look. Maybe because it looks a bit see through. But I’m not sold on my guess! And I could easily say fire agate too…

1 Like

When I looked at the photo fire agate was the first thing that came to my mind also. You used to see a lot of it in the 70’s at various fair’s/markets around Oregon set in silver.

3 Likes

I”m with you thinking it’s fire agate.

3 Likes

Mexican fire agate cabochon gets my vote.

source: https://www.gemrockauctions.com/auctions/3450-carat-very-nice-mexican-fire-agate-cabochon-754835

4 Likes

Fire agate for sure. My two cents. :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

I agree, this stone is fire agate.

Not amber.
If you have seen amber and fire agate in person, the two materials are completely different.

2 Likes

Of course they are different. I have seen amber, I own some. Never seen fire agate in person. But agree the picture does look like fire agate. Was just an opinion about a picture.

2 Likes