Natural Turquoise Aging

Hi friends!

I have a ring with a gorgeous natural stone—I feel like I may be noticing some color shift in the stone. I’ve only had it for about two weeks and I am very careful with my stones, making sure it doesn’t come into contact with water or oils, and is stored securely, never coming in contact with moisture. While some natural turquoise may change color over time—I assume this takes many many years, right? I may just be second guessing myself with certain lighting, as I don’t see how the stone could be changing already.

2 Likes

Hi, are you able to post a picture of it? Or better yet, one when bought and a recent one?

1 Like

Sure! Let me try to take a photo where I can match the lighting to when I first received it.

1 Like

Sometimes you can change a stone or a metal with just what you eat. I had a friend that could turn pewter black because he ate so
Many lemon infused foods. There is still a lot of natural turquoise out there. It maybe your work environment, hair spray , perfume, natural oils or just what you are consuming. It’s frustrating but it happens. I turned one stone on a pair of sleeping beauty petit point earrings. I was horrified because I was so carful. After that I just let the stone all turn naturally.

2 Likes

I try to keep substances off my stones, but if they change from me wearing them (or years of being worn by others) I like that. But I think what @evanbuddenbohn is saying, is that he thinks the stone changed over a couple weeks time, which I don’t believe would come from normal handling of the stone.

I have a couple rings in the cluster work style, and all the turquoise stones are different colors. They were like this when I bought them (they are older). I personally prefer that to every little stone being the exact same color. Adds personality, and then I know they are real. But that’s just me.

@evanbuddenbohn, I had one big stone in a ring change pretty quickly because it was a lower grade natural turquoise (but still a really cool stone). But when I say pretty quickly, I mean over a few years time, and it was a very light turquoise to start with (it actually looks better now!).

4 Likes

Sometimes I get a little crazy with the hand sanitizer and forget I have my Turquoise on :weary:

4 Likes

Oh, I hear you on that!! Just don’t do what I have done, take the ring off to use sanitizer (or soap) and leave it sitting on the sink! I’ve done this three times; fortunately all three times someone found it and brought it to me. Now I tell myself in my head - put rings in pocket first.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your insight! I’ve been out of the country, but I’m back home now. I’ll try to take a new photo to compare before & after!

I think that the color-change factor of some natural turquoise, aligning with the growth of us as individuals, is something that’s so fascinating—the belief that the color changes as we change.

2 Likes

So true. In our youth so many of us were unaware what chlorine in pool water could do to metals and stones. I did not think about what you eat effecting it. Thanks.

1 Like