Questions on J Woolsey and his Pieces

I have a few J Woolsey cuffs and can find nothing about him in my book. Does anyone know how long he created jewelry? I was told at least one of my pieces was from the 60s, but don’t know when he may have stopped making pieces. I’m also very curious about this very vivid blue and green stone (?) in this one cuff. Anyone know what this is? I was told the purple and white cuff is sugilite and fossilized bone. Does that sound about right? I love his futuristic looking pieces he made in “his day.”

3 Likes

only thing I was able to locate was this posting.

“For sale here is a BIG pair of vintage 1970s signed handmade sterling silver with turquoise and black onyx inlay geometric modernist pierced earrings by American artisan Jack Woolsey. Here’s a brief bio that I found online for the artist… “Artist and jeweler Jack Woolsey (a.k.a. Jackie Ray) was born in 1940 in Colorado Springs, CO. He learned his jewelry-making techniques from the Navajo silversmiths around Taos, NM, and is renowned for his modernist inlay cuff bracelets, belt buckles, and earrings. Some of his materials were obtained in trade with Eskimos living in the Alaskan tundra. He also created distinctive wrap inlay designs using turquoise, red jasper, black onyx, and other semiprecious stones. Jackie Ray Woolsey passed away in 2005, at the age of 64. His obituary (which you may read in its entirety in this listing’s pics) says that he will always be remembered for his wit and ability to make people smile and laugh.” A striking and large pair of earrings! Measure 1-1/8” by 3/4", and the pair weigh 10.5 grams total. Marked at backs as shown, “J. Woolsey Sterling”. Excellent vintage condition with fine light wear and tarnish as shown"

source: https://www.rubylane.com/item/1879775-3338/SUPERB-Vintage-1970s-Jack-Woolsey-Handmade

1 Like

Thank you! This is great and a lot more than I had before. Would love to have a clue about what appears to be a vivid blue and green stone!?!

1 Like

I believe it’s azurite with malachite inclusions. I have a Zuni fetish made of this rock.

1 Like

Hmmm, based on this bio, I’m now wondering if J woolsey was in fact Native American or not? Does anyone actually know for sure?

1 Like

Wow, makes sense. Certainly is very unique and cool looking. Never saw anything quite like it before.

1 Like

I don’t know for sure, but based on the bio and obituary Steve provided above I’m pretty sure he wasn’t.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s kind of what I was thinking.

1 Like

uh,wasn’t aware that a pedigree was required?

& there’s a (damaged) moneyclip by him on ebay for $12 & a fossilized bone cuff for $200 OBO (contains “navajo” twice in description)

1 Like

@newpawn 10000% a “pedigree” is required for jewelry to be legally sold as being Navajo/other Native community. That’s the whole point of the federal Act.
https://www.doi.gov/iacb/act

Whether an individual or a business violates this is of interest to collectors as well as to those who enforce the Act.

3 Likes

I meant required in an obituary.
apparently,euphemisms are “must haves”& any titles,etc. gained & also usually include sire,dam &(known) offspring but I don’t recall “breed” being listed.

1 Like

Ebay is not the only place I have seen his pieces listed as Navajo which is why I raised the question after having read that description and obituary as having learned a similar story, from this group, about one John Hartman! I bought my first piece of J Woolsey being told and believing it was Navajo made. This was the sugilite and bone cuff. Since then I’ve bought two additional cuffs of his. Chances are, had I known he was not Native, I’m sure I would have passed on the last two cuffs!

4 Likes

It is not normally included in an obituary. It’s about purchasing something that is represented as Native American and then finding out it’s not. Especially if you feel that you overpaid.

2 Likes

That is frustrating! But at least they are beautiful.

1 Like

I agree-especially the sugilite and bone ivory. The other multi stone one is nice too. I have some Anglo pieces too.

1 Like