Sand Cast Cuff with Great Turquoise by Wilson Begay

I had no idea about the hallmark when I bought it, I could’t make it out at all. I bought it because of the stone and because I haven’t seen much stamp work on sand cast pieces. When I got some pictures with various angles and flash, all of a sudden there it was, Half of the Wilson Begay hallmark, WB with a hat on top. It’s 44g. and size 6.5 (5-1/4" of silver with a 1-1/4" gap) and the stone is 1" x 3/8".

5 Likes

You lucky duck! :duck: And that stone is great

2 Likes

So beautiful. I have only seen a few pieces of sand cast with stamping.

1 Like

Very nice! Would look pretty good on my wrist…

1 Like

Beautiful cuff. Good you found the hallmark.

1 Like

I was at a pawn shop yesterday and when I picked up these two cuffs, I recognized the hallmarks from reading your post here!! I think the turquoise is red web Chinese

2 Likes

Score!! Another sand cast with stamping! Interesting the backs are so different, the bigger one seems to have been cleaned up well. No pits, and you can see the striations where it was sanded. The other doesn’t look like it’s been sanded at all. Mine is somewhere in between with striations from sanding but it has lots of pits still, like they changed their mind half way through and didn’t finish.
Also, on yours you can see a clear impression of a circle around the hallmarks, both are the same with a little nick out of the circle at the 6 o’clock point which you don’t/can’t see on mine at all but it obviously wasn’t struck as hard.
Always nice turquoise.

2 Likes

@AC Really like your sandcast cuff and a beautiful stone to go with it. Speaking of sandcast and stamp work, I do not own this buckle, but check this out…

3 Likes

That’s beautiful. Great design. You can tell it was hard to position everything and keep it symmetrical. Definitely the most highly stamped sand cast piece I can recall. I wonder who made that!

Navajo, stamped B.S. Mitchell. Goes by Billy.

1 Like

@TAH Did you see this? They are calling it Eugene S. Mitchell. Looks like the same mark to me but it’s a little blurry. It’s the only piece I found searching that name.

Look at this!!

2 Likes

I think you’re correct, @AC. It’s E.S. Mitchell. Must be an error.

https://frontierplunder.com/product/jna-0062-navajo-billy-mitchell-tuffa-cast-buckle/

1 Like