Sonoran gold

Hmmm… I expect if you spend much more time on this site you may start desiring after Native American jewelry LOL

To me turquoise is synonymous with Native American jewelry.

2 Likes

Agree with everything said here. The other thing to keep in mind is, in this country at least, a lot of the top grade natural turquoise goes to NA jewelers. Some of them have connections to mines and mine owners and get dibs on the best stones before any of the rest of us get a chance. So although you may not specifically be looking for NA jewelry with turquoise, that’s where you’re going to find a lot of the high grade natural turquoise you are looking for.

5 Likes

@Bluesky
You are getting lots of good advice here!
Buying untreated turquoise cabs is like a minefield.
Maybe harder than choosing a loose diamond! LOL
Be patient, and take your time. The stones will wait for you!

2 Likes

I appreciate all your views and the times you’re taking to respond but unfortunately I’m actually not getting good replies, dare I say it!

@chicfarmer @Ziacat your perspectives are correct but they are not the only correct perspectives. This world is big. It’s extends beyond America (I mean that in the nicest way) and turquoise extends beyond what it means in a small part of America and the fact it’s synonymous with NA jewellery.

I’m afraid you can’t see that perspective and that’s making you unable to give objective advice / guidance. Can one really have the gall to suggest reputable for the entire world lies in the basis of what’s reputable for a few thousand square miles in a part of one country?!! Really!

But I do thank you for sharing your opinions and giving me your time, genuinely thank you. I can see this board may not have the correct collective mindframe for asking about things that is not within its niche - and that’s perfectly okay.

Oh I looooove this cuff! :heart:

2 Likes

@Tah Verdy Jake does such nice work, always with good stones. I’ve followed her output for years. This is a beauty.

1 Like

@TaraFawn75 & @chicfarmer

Thank you for the compliments! Yes, it’s a nice contemporary piece with a vintage look. We searched all over Gallup, Santa Fe, and Taos and this is the one our daughter picked. Tara, I figured you would like it because it is similar in style and has that nice dark patina like much of your jewelry.

3 Likes

It’s gorgeous! Love the stones. I’ve got a silver saguaro pendant with Sonoran stones (pretty sure they are natural - the artist who I bought from directly is very clear about her pieces), but they are much smaller than those in your daughter’s cuff. She has excellent taste IMO! I also gravitate to the older looking stuff.

Sometimes taking forever to find the perfect piece is a good share of the fun!

1 Like

Thanks! She gets her excellent taste from her mom. :+1:

2 Likes

Being a reputable seller is not necessarily synonymous with being a knowledgeable seller. They can go on what they’re told and hopefully their source is reliable, but turquoise stumps even the pros, so I think lesson gleaned there is that whatever country you’re shopping in, asking questions to determine how close they are to the source of what they’re selling is paramount if you want, without a doubt, to know with 100% certainty the stone’s origin and treatment. I have my doubts the OP will find that seller on Etsy, or not such that I’d gamble that kind of money on it. I’d go directly to the mines if it were me.

3 Likes