Too impatient for the books to come in

I’ve ordered 5 books that were recommended on this site to help identify hallmarks but they aren’t here yet so I turned to the internet with no results. Without spending too much time on them, does anyone know off the cuff who these marks belong to?

Thank you for the help!

-Shelley

5 Likes

Your first piece doesn’t strike me as Native American. The two main reasons are the .925 stamp, which is very rarely seen in Native American jewelry, and the open back, which is almost never seen in Native American jewelry. The second one, the raven(?) or eagle(?) pendant, is Northwest Coast. So Native American, but a different type of Native American than most of the hallmark books recommended here (which focus on Southwest tribes) will help you with. That one’s really cool by the way; I really like it. The design would be etched entirely by hand.

3 Likes

I agree with this assessment.

As far as the first one goes, it looks like the items sold by Penvolt1 & Gemvolt on ebay that are almost all attributed to Navajo but I believe are not from the US.

2 Likes

Maybe pic # 10 is signed “Yazzie?”
Or “Nezzie”?

Thank you so much…The first pendant is pretty cool, you can see thru the stone in the light. I’ll turn my attention northwest on raven.

-Shelley

1 Like

Thank you! That gives me a direction to look further into.

-Shelley

I thought it looked similar to Lee Yazzie. Any idea if the scribble under the latch signifies anything?

-Shelley

The Raven brooch looks to be Pacific Northwest as was mentioned. The ojibwe, tlignit, salis, haida and other tribes in that area create artwork in this style. Hougart’s book is no help here as he focuses on the Southwest. The three American Indian Jewelry books do however have a few of these silversmiths listed. I am out the door for the rest of the week, but I will look through my books on Sunday when I return. I will post again if I find something. These are very sought after pieces! Even though this is a simple small pendant; if I were to price it for sale I would not list it for less than $150.

1 Like

Wow that’s great news! That you so much for your help…that made my day!

-Shelley

1 Like