Turquoise or gaspeite stone?

I picked this pendant up recently. It was advertised as turquoise, but I was thinking gaspeite. It’s a creamy apple green that’s just a tad on the minty side of that color. I think I’d call the matrix a sand color with some darker dots of brown in it.

What does the group think? Also, any ideas on the maker, initials EYD, would be appreciated.

3 Likes

It is gaspeite color, check it like you would be testing for a piece of block turquoise. This material comes in a imitation variety.

1 Like

Thank you @Jason. Test as in acetone or hot pin? Do you think it may be imitation? It did pass the acetone test.

Haven’t yet identified the hallmark, but came across another piece done by the same person using the same green stone. The item description discusses what the stone might be…

1 Like

Possibly Ellen Dubois…would need to reverse search to verify the hallmark is hers…

1 Like

@SimplyDunn. Excellent detective work, thank you!! I will see what I can find out about this artist. It is the same hallmark.

That would be awesome if it’s the same material.

I agree that it is the same hallmark, but just be careful…just because someone identified the artist’s name on an Etsy listing doesn’t make it fact…it is simply a lead. I would verify that indeed that hallmark belongs to that specific artist by using multiple sources, or by locating it in a hallmark identification book, or more often, by finding another item by the same artist in a reputable shop that can verify the match. Good luck!

3 Likes

@SimplyDunn yes, understood that it’s just a lead until verifiable from a reliable source, I just meant that the hallmarks look dead on. Could even be a good copy. I never believe what online sellers say about who the artist is; unless they have provenance, their guess is good as mine. :wink:

1 Like

I have seen this color of Turquoise from the Pixie Mine in Nevada located in the Crescent Valley.

1 Like

I managed to track down the matching earrings! :grin:

6 Likes

Wow! That’s impressive!

1 Like