Unknown history can you help?

I don’t know anything behind this squash blossom history. It was given to me as a wedding gift so I’d really just like to know. Is it real and if it is, what would it prob cost in this days market value. Just hoping the family member who bought it for me didn’t buy something fake and got ripped off. The beadwork looks old, it’s heavy, and it’s past the “ball point” pen test, acetone and the heated needle test. The area of where the turquoise is exposed isn’t from a heat needle it’s from where a piece of the material around the stone fell off. It was hard to picture. But under a microscope the turquoise looks real, unless turquoise can’t be cut like that

This squash blossom dates to around the 1970’s or so. This style is considered to be generic Navajo design, and was made a lot in the 70’s when everybody wanted a squash blossom necklace. The beads are bench beads, which are two machine made halves that are soldered together by hand. 100% handmade beads would be the most desirable to collectors. The turquoise appears stabilized and I don’t think you have enough distinguishing features here to determine a mine.

Also, can you please tell me what the “ballpoint pen test” is?

2 Likes

The ball point pen test was something I read on here to try. Take a ball point pen and Mark over the stone to see how quickly it wipes off.

Last question Are you saying I have a decent peice ? Or was my family member ripped off ? I was told they spent arouns $700 for it. I just would hate if they got me something so beautiful and it ended up being a rip off. Thanks you again!

No, they did good. That is a lot of turquoise and silver. Enjoy wearing your gift and congratulations.

1 Like