Vintage Gamecock Chip Inlay Bolo Tsosie?

My son gave me this bolo while I was visiting them. He found it at Goodwill and it had been cleaned in several spots so I had to finish the job to make it presentable. The inlay is in great condition and is turquoise, coral and what appears to be a white shell. I think it is a fighting gamecock. In the bottom right corner there is a flower with leaves. The tips haven’t been polished yet but are pretty plain; just four small stamped squares on the front and back of each. It has a script signature that is worn and hard to decipher. I’m pretty sure that is Tsosie but not quite sure which one. While digging thru one I my books I saw a note about Boyd Tsosie using a flower with leaves stamp in his designs. I think I was in one of Hougart’s books. Anyhow, is anyone familiar with his work or can you read the hallmark enough to know? I know Saef has a collection of inlay but haven’t seen her on here lately.

1 Like

Hello Islandmomma,

I believe this is a century plant or blue agave plant (different but same family) used for making tequila which grows wild in the area I’m from - Arizona & also in Mexico, NM & TX. The fighting cock was a popular old time theme in these areas but not so much anymore so you don’t see much of it these days. I don’t know what it’s worth. I like it because it reminds me of the southwest although - not into fighting. Sara

The last name is Tso, a common Navajo surname. I am not sure who the artist is. Also, don’t see that figure much. You are right about the beautiful stone. This is Navajo and the plant is the yucca. Beautiful piece.

2 Likes

Thanks Jason for the information. If you have a chance, would you please let me know what you think about my “wolf” fang? Thanks

I saw that and just don’t know. If you could identify the silver work that might give you some clues. Like a Nepal tiger tooth. Seems like I remember Christibo identifying some type of tusk, maybe he has an idea of what this is. We see mostly badger claws, bear claws and elk teeth here.

1 Like

Thanks. I replaced my silver testing stuff so I’ll try and check it for silver content. That might help too. I haven’t spent much time looking in the mouths of wild animals except game we brought home to eat.