Vintage Sterling Denmark Amber N.E. From Ring

Thanks so much Stracci :grinning: That’s a gorgeous pin. Love that a lot. I have been into pins so much lately.

That’s a great question. It reminded me of Native American jewelry. So I grabbed it. The Amber looks to be attached to a silver disc. That’s floating kinda. It moves a bit when I rub it. I’m just happy that it fits my pinky. That never happens :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks so much mmrogers :grinning: I thought about trying to polishing it but you know I like the patina :upside_down_face: The oil from my fingers is making it look much better so I’m just gonna do that for now. I watched a video last night and you can see yourself in the Amber with a good polish. Thanks so much for the research info too.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your ring Rose. Now I find myself wondering if someone in Gallup in the late 60’s didn’t hand a piece of Niels Erik From’s work to a Navajo Silversmith, with the oft repeated query, “Can you make me something like this?”

4 Likes

As we all know, jewelry designs go 'round the world!
The naja design came to the Navajo from North Africa via the Spanish. Moghul jewelry design has been used heavily by French jewelry houses like Cartier and Van Cleef and Arpels.
The Greek key design is featured in jewelry worldwide.
So no doubt, a Danish designer may have been inspired by NA jewelry!

4 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me at all. I would love to find a Navajo ring with amber in it. I haven’t seen much of that. I guess that’s why I jumped on this ring. Amber is one of my fave stones :grin: Thanks so much again :grinning:

2 Likes

Check this one out!
Amber bracelet by Juan Abeyta

1 Like

That’s gorgeous Ziacat, now I want one :grin: I have quite a bit of Amber but nothing like that.

1 Like

Interesting factoid about Amber set in NA and SW jewelry. Europeans often cut a hole behind the stone to let in more light which is helpful for (retail) display but which benefits are negated when the piece is worn, and light from behind is blocked. Americans often leave the backplate solid and put a piece of gold colored metallic foil behind the stone when it is set. This reflects the light entering from the front of the stone, and allows the translucent Amber to ‘glow’ as it does in the bracelet Ziacat posted above.

4 Likes

For sure, Navajo and Pueblo smiths were influenced by mid-century Modernism and Scandinavian jewelry trends.

5 Likes

Thanks a bunch :grinning: That totally explains the silver plate attached to the little amber piece. I decided to take little paint brush and dip it in mineral and cover the stone with it. It looks so much better now. Thanks again :grin:

1 Like

When you said you’d love to find some native jewelry with amber, a bell went off in my head. I put in “amber” in the search bar on this site, and a bunch of stuff came up. This one was my fav.

I just have a little cross with some Baltic amber in it. One of my skating students traveled to Poland, and brought it back for me.

2 Likes

Gosh, this has been really interesting. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge @mmrogers!

2 Likes

Thanks Ziacat, I’m gonna look that up now. Maybe I’ll get lucky and find a nice piece for sale. I’m going back to my friends shop again on Tuesday, so I’m going to focus on his rings and see what he has. No bracelet’s unfortunately but I’ll definitely keep checking :grin: Thanks again.

1 Like

While we’re discussing amber, here are a few non- Native amber pieces.
I bought this pressed amber pendant from a friend. It has Polish assay marks. I love the unique chain.

And I made this ring 20 years ago when I was just learning to make jewelry. I bought the loose gem and dreamed up this ambitious setting.
It turned out ok, much to my surprise!

4 Likes

It turned out great. Really amazing pieces. Here are some piece I have in a tray in my office and some on a mannequin. I have tub somewhere, now that I think of it my hubby may have put it in the basement :thinking:

3 Likes

@CyanideRose18
Beautiful! I love them all. Those chunky butterscotch beads are so yummy! And the faceted ones are killer!
Tell me about that bangle on the tray!
(I spy jade bangles and rubies too…but that’s another thread! Haha)

2 Likes

Thanks so much Stracci :smile: I found it at a little vintage shop at the rotunda in Maryland many years ago. It’s too big but I still wear it. I wore it to glow bowl once and the kids kept asking what kinda bracelet it was lol. I used to sell amber on Etsy but apparently a mother gave her baby amber beads to teeth on and the baby chocked, so Etsy deactivated all the amber listings. It was a silly trend for a while there and they purchased the necklace on Etsy and there was talk of being sued. Not sure how it all panned out.

Jadeite and nephrite is another one of my addictions, nephrite more than jadeite. I purchased an old Chinese cutlery chest that I found at and antique furniture place in Pennsylvania, moved around the divider a bit and now it’s storage for my fave jade and nephrite pieces. I also found two sterling knifes still in the chest when I got it home :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Really pretty. Looks like a neutral or polished white metal finish behind the stones.To me this looks much more natural than the gold foil which I find a bit garish.

1 Like

@mmrogers
Thanks! It was an experiment, for sure.
There is nothing under the stone, just polished sterling.
I agree, foil looks weird under cabs like this. Plus the foil can discolor and then you have a bad look.

I think foiled stones only look good in antique Georgian jewelry!

2 Likes

Nice job on that ring. I love it. And the cognac amber is gorgeous.

2 Likes