Wheel of Live Native pendant

Hi guys. I am looking to buy this native pendant - 3" in diameter, 48 grams, not signed ! I love it but the asking price is a bit high - $150 USD. Is it the marker price for pendant like this or is it too high? Thank you!

2 Likes

I am not familiar with the style. Is it spiny oyster and inlaid turquoise? What does the description say?
The only ones I’ve seen have four directions- north, south, east and west. However, I am not the ultimate authority by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe @Jason or one of the other more knowledgeable people will chime in.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. 333584938069-4_600 333584938069-7_600

Description says it is coral and turquoise inlaid (possibly Royston?). Here is more pictures.

1 Like

It looks like there’s a hallmark in the center and I can’t see it well. I’m thinking it might say RC. I also am noticing That the color doesn’t look even on the coral. There are also 16 directional arrows which I don’t understand. I will get a hallmark book and see if I can find anything on RC and if it’s different from that isn’t me know and I’ll check

1 Like

These are some artist that use RC as listed in Billy Hougart’s book. you might check some of them out.

2 Likes

that central bit with the red stone atop the yellow MOP is giving me kind of a Tibet/Nepal vibe.

6 Likes

That was sort of what I was feeling but I didn’t want to discount it without being sure.

3 Likes

You think it is MOP, not turquoise?

ooh that’s a better pic, the first one looked like a shiny golden MOP to my tired eyes. Yes, this could def be turquoise. it’s a pretty piece - has a very light and delicate look to it. I’m eager to see other opinions on the origin, but I’m not convinced it’s NA.

4 Likes

I think your question was more about value than origin? if you love it, it’s worth what you’re willing to pay! If it’s not Native American, this price may be a little high.

i will add that most of the tibet/nepal pieces i recall seeing have a more true blue turquoise than a golden green like this piece. the red stone looks dyed to me, however.

4 Likes

You are right!

I was wondering about value because I couldn’t find any similar pendants to compare. Agree that it is worth what you are willing to pay, but when you pay that much it is nice to know that you buying unique native piece that you can add to collection and pass to the next generation:) :blush:

1 Like

I think your seller is taking a stab at identifying this. I am sure it’s not Native American. From these pics it’s unclear that it’s actual coral, and no idea what those green-yellow stones are, but I wouldn’t count on it being US turquoise.

Has a Buddhist vibe if anything, pointing to Asian production. It’s conceptually not at all in line with Native medicine wheel or directional imagery.

The price is high for a mystery random item.

5 Likes

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinion! I have reached to the seller to see if he has more information about the item. If it is not native pendant - I will not be interested in buying it, at least not in this price point.

1 Like

I also do not think it’s Native American.

2 Likes

I googled Tibetan Wheel of Life pendant and while not exact, looks fairly similar, although yours has many more “spokes”. It’s very pretty.

1 Like