Who is “Fred. U?”

Can you guys help me figure out who this hallmark belongs to? I couldn’t find anything in Bille Hougart’s 4th edition. I looked in the letter “U” section but did not see anything. I’m not convinced that this is turquoise either, I believe it could be a variscite?

3 Likes

Bree, it’s a long shot, but is there something going on around the signature? The last letter is shorter than the others. It’s like I see a smear that starts below the period after Fred and underlines the last letter then wraps around that last letter and possibly obliterates the top of it as it wraps back around the top and ends above the period. Is it possibly a G for Fred Guerro? Bille Hougarts 4th, on pg 144, list one of his marks as Fred G but doesn’t show a picture.

2 Likes

Thanks!! I hadn’t considered that. I’m having a hard time figuring out what the last letter is- and I think that’s one of the reasons I can’t figure out who the maker Is.

I don’t think it’s a U either. C? G? O? How many artists have the first name of Fred (answer more than 1).

1 Like

In Hougart’s he does have a Fred G for Fred Guerro listed in the back under names, I haven’t been able to find an example. It does make sense. Whatever the stone it is beautiful.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your help! Looks like Fred. U (or whatever his last name is) will be a mystery for now!

found a sig example on etsy

2 Likes