Why so messy?

I think this might be Royston. It seems nice enough work on the front but the back is not so nice. Any input as why this might be?

Not sure why the back is so messy, but the outer bezel is made up of “hogan buttons” or “shots”. I just learned that terminology on here yesterday. :grin:

1 Like

Possibly it was soldered to a bracelet originally then converted to a pendant? It is very odd bubbling looking damage. I would assume from heat. Maybe they tried to unsolder it from something with way to hot of a flame, saw they were creating damage and wound up cutting it off instead. I have no idea but that was the first thing that popped into my mind.

2 Likes

It makes me think someone got sloppy removing a poorly-placed pin back? or maybe the backing was made with a scrap?

1 Like

Someone on another board suggested it was formerly a ring or bracelet, which makes sense to me given the long mark on the back.

1 Like

I agree re work. Looks like boulder turquoise to me, not royston.

1 Like

Someone on another board suggested it might have been a bolo tie at one point. Given the size, I think that could be right.

1 Like