You asked for it Bree

I, as you are very familiar with, am a total novice. I might add that I am a DAV on a very limited income and try to collect inexpensive pieces that I can give to children that have grown to call me PopPop in hopes that I’ll hit the mother lode for them and they can grow to be as enthusiastic about it as I am. Your help has been so very appreciated. But remember…you asked for it. Here is one I think (w/ my limited knowledge) that seems to be shell, but what kind? They appear to have some age but not much. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks,

Dan

1 Like

Hey Dan, these are going to be costume jewelry earrings. Although they have wear, they are modern pieces. Post- back earrings did not become popular until the eighties, so when dating earrings, screw backs and crude hooks are good indicators of age. The coloring you see appears to be a paint- like enamel. It does closely mimick the color of shell though! Without going into a history lesson, here are some quick charts for reference:

Thanks as always Bree- I’m not done yet! LOL

1 Like

Hi BREE- I never realized that the back of the earring could tell so much. Thanks again for your wealth of knowledge and the willingness to share it. Wish I lived in CA. LOL

Dan

1 Like