Zuni coral ring

I am trying to work out an age on this ring has anybody got any thoughts please. Red coral no markings on the ring

5 Likes

I can’t tell from the photos - do you see any pores or lines in the red material, or is it perfectly smooth, with no slight color variations?

2 Likes

No pores in the stones. I guess it is a fake like the earrings bought from same seller as earrings. Thanks Vanessa

Could be. It’s hard to tell if the coral is block from your photos. The other thing that strikes me as unusual for Zuni work (not that we never see it) is the large amount of exposed silver back plate in the center of the design.

1 Like

Synthetic stones don’t automatically mean it’s a fake per se, many native makers use synthetic stones because they can be much more economical to make their art than natural gem material. Knowing if it’s synthetic can sometimes help determine age, though, overall construction can give clues to origins. I agree with Orbit - not sure this is Zuni work, may be Navajo?

1 Like

It could be Zuni or Navajo. Both were making rings with similar designs as early as the 40s. But it could be overseas import as well. I think the rope twisting looks a little too perfect for a ring made 70 years ago by hand. I agree, check to see if stone are real first. Also, a ring like this, if Zuni or Navajo would cost a pretty penny. Was the price too good to be true?

1 Like

Could you take a photo of where the band meets the back of the setting? This could be helpful.

Here is the pictures i got as close to the stones as i could not see any classic indications for coral .

2 Likes

I think it could definitely be native made, just not convinced it’s Zuni. IDK, i could be convinced otherwise though.

FYI - it’s gorgeous either way and I would wear it and enjoy it.

2 Likes

Sharing my thoughts.
Going back to my 1980’s experiences when I lived in AZ and worked with some Navajo jewelry artists.
I collected/purchased many cabochons, both coral and turquoise. Made some myself.
Small, coral cabs like those used in this right might not have any structure to them.
I have some small ones I know are real, red coral that appear totally red. The structure, if any, can only been seen under a high power microscope.

A non-intrusive way to help determine if they are real coral, block coral, or a type of strong plastic, is to vigorously rub the top of some cabs on a piece of cloth. Jeans work great. Most of the time, if resin based block or plastic, you should be able to smell plastic. Vintage block coral often gives off the smell. More modern block coral does not.

Thank you for the photo of the ring shank.
Ones like this were readily available from a local supply store. Most of the time, the artist would shape the ends of the shank, so they tapered down to the back of the setting. This made for a flatter and more comfortable ring.

Hope this helps some.

1 Like

Thank you so much everyone for your help its been really helpful. I took a hard look at the stones and i still think they are not coral . I gut instinct really. I appreciate all the input. Thank you so much guys.