10 strand turquoise necklace w huge turquoise cross marked "GRANDFATHER EAGLE"

One more piece I did inherit from my aunt:
I don’t have the original receipt. I know it was bought in Albuquerque back in about 1989 or 1990.
The cross pendant is stamped “Grandfather Eagle”. It measures 3,5 inches talll and 3 inches wide.
The 10 strand necklace measures from clasp to clasp 18 inches long and is stamped Sterling on the clasp.
The pendant is removable so I wonder if the necklace itself is SANTO DOMINGO and the pendant NAVAJO made.
Hopefully someone can help me out and tell my something about the hallmark “Grandfather Eagle” (I think it was a shopmark?), the turquoise used and give me an estimated value of this piece. Thank you

4 Likes

I am going to be so nonhelpful but … wow … that cross looks like the riverbed of my dreams, which would be pretty much paved over with smooth rounded turquoise specimens of all types.
Also I’m thinking it takes quite a personality to wear this necklace. It is not for the shy and retiring.
Your aunt must have been pretty great.

3 Likes

Your comments always makes me smile - so funny and full of humor!
Well I have to admit to wear this huge cross in Berlin, Germany gets you quite a few comments - nevertheless I love the turquoise cabachons… but I am just a turquoise lover not an expert which kinds of turquoise where used in this one…

2 Likes

That is beautiful, I would wear it! Native American jewelry is my passion and I wear my pieces every day! Just stunning!

3 Likes

This is a popular style. It makes me think of Rocki Gorman jewelry http://www.rockigorman.com/shop. I couldn’t find anything on Grandfather Eagle, but did find a Eagle Boy. It belongs to a shop in Denver, Colorado named Kohlberg’s. This piece could possibly be a shop piece. Most likely, the turquoise strands are beaded by someone in the shop, the clasps and cones look manufactured. The cross is huge and I can’t imagine this being less than $350 - $400, as a necklace $500 - $600.

1 Like