1980's Belt Buckle

Would appreciate any thoughts on this belt buckle.
Purchased mid 1980’s at the Gallup Flea Market.
The front is nickel silver.
Back is some type of base metal.
Two different metals soldered together.
It is about 1/8” thick.

It looks like someone took a belt buckle blank and drilled holes in it to attach the bezel. The bezel is the size for a fifty cent piece.

If not for the holes, I think it would look nice with a stone setting. Maybe some other type of embellishment could be soldered over the holes.

Sorry, it is a little dusty right now.

2 Likes

An interesting vintage coin might work too. These buckles seem to be fairly common. Here’s one on eBay…

2 Likes

I figured it was a fairly common item. Have a similar one that is all base metal.
Thought it was strange that this one was a combo of base metal and nickel silver.

1 Like

Hi Fernwood. If the back is base metal, the melting temp of the metal itself may be too low to allow silver soldering which is done at 1,100+ degrees. This may be the reason the manufacturer used screw fittings to attach the central setting blank. If you really love the buckle, there’s no reason you cant find new screws, secure them with a bit of red Loctite, and have a stone cut for the center setting.

2 Likes

Thanks. I never thought about that.
I have a stone the correct size for the setting. Just do not like the setting.
I do like the buckle.

1 Like

It’s possible a silversmith could make a replacement setting secured with Chicago screws $$$$.

1 Like