> 2000 Carat rough. But where is it from?

Hi.
I am lucky to be in the possession of this turquoise block.
I’ve been told that it could be originary from Iran or Pakistan.
Could anyone give me some information about the origin of this stone please? How would you describe the quality and color of the stone?
Any information would be greatly appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:.

(Some more information: Initially this turquoise block should be transformed to be used as a traditional morocan dagger)

1 Like

Hello,
What you have is block, not rough. Block is a composite of synthetic materials, and it may not have any actual turquoise in it. “Rough” is actual turquoise from a specific origin prior to it being transformed into use for jewelry or other forms by lapidary work. Here’s some discussion:

Quailty and cost of block obviously aren’t in the same ballpark as turquoise rough; “quality” of block may be hard to discuss given that it shares no properties with turquoise the mineral.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer and for the link!
I have heated a needle and put it against the “stone”. I tried it at different spots. There was no impact ( melting, color change, no plastic smell ) of the hot needle.
Touching the stone againt my teeth ( not the most scientific of test :upside_down_face:) revealed a glassy sound, not like epoxy or stabilized wood.
I rubbed the piece 10 min with acetone with no discoloration. Would acetone “dissolve” epoxy?
Do you know if there was block turquoise in circulation 15-20 years ago?
Can you think of other tests i could do?

Thank you for your input :slightly_smiling_face:.
Philippe

1 Like

That is a big piece of turquoise. It looks like a very nice piece. I have included a link for images of rough Persian turquoise, doesn’t seem to have the same characteristics, but maybe. It is going to be difficult because you don’t have a bunch of matrix to give you an idea of what it would look like, other than a lot of blue. What are you going to do with it?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LIGHT-BLUE-STABILIZED-KINGMAN-TURQUOISE-ROUGH-BLACK-MATRIX-USA-294-3-GRAMS-B13-/113009256401
https://www.google.com/search?q=rough+persian+turquoise&client=safari&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi3t_LZ8ebpAhVLuZ4KHaxABVwQ_AUoAnoECA0QBA&biw=1679&bih=893#imgrc=dc1oqLkGucgcqM

3 Likes